[IRPCoalition] human rights in ICANN

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Mon Jul 7 13:59:58 EEST 2014

Dear Rafik

Thanks for these details, very useful. Now I am curious to know more
about the point you make at the end i.e. what sorts of problematic
regulation is being advocated and in whose national interests.

Your points below notwithstanding, can we take this report to be a
"dissenting opinion" within the GAC, along the lines of the US Supreme
Court when judges make their differences public? If so, then it still
remains a timely reminder that 1) how governments respond to the human
rights challenges they confront, and the need for UN member states to
put their respective houses in order in that respect and 2) there is a
lot of work to do in all areas of ICANN to move from principles to
practice..Here, if I may be so bold, I am not yet ready to see ICANN as
an example of best practice despite their contribution to the official
NETmundial outcomes. Good to see ICANN accepting the basic premise but
that is but the start so on that basis this report needs to be welcomed.

best
MF

<m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk>