[IRP] Hey ITU Member States: No More Secrecy, Release the Treaty Proposals

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh
Sun May 20 05:53:42 EEST 2012

If this actually works and the ITU changed its document release policies, it would be truly historic.

Over a few beers sometime I can tell tales of how at the dawn of the public Internet a couple decades ago, I was working with DARPA - and the ITU - to help get the ITU standards docs online. Which DARPA hoped would then be more readily accessible. Nope - not unless you were a dues-paying ITU member. Anyway, if global CS pulls off what DARPA couldn't and opens ITU processes some...well let's not get our hopes too high but I think this does box the ITU into a corner at least.

Good luck to us/cs!

Lee

________________________________
From: irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org [irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org] on behalf of Katitza Rodriguez [katitza at eff.org]
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2012 2:28 PM
To: parminder
Cc: irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org
Subject: Re: [IRP] Hey ITU Member States: No More Secrecy, Release the Treaty Proposals

Here is the call for endorsement. We just start o collect signatures

EFF Joins Coalition Denouncing Secretive WCIT Planning Process. Civil Society Seeks Access to Planning Documents for Secret Negotiations Around Internet Regulation
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/05/eff-joins-coalition-denouncing-secretive-wcit-planning-process