[IRP] Hey ITU Member States: No More Secrecy, Release the Treaty Proposals

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel
Sat May 19 20:13:53 EEST 2012

I agree with Fouad that the strategy should be two-pronged. We should
direct our concerns and statements to ITU, but bearing in mind that the
 member states are the ones behind the decisions. The bureaucratic
structure is there to serve the members. If the documents have not been
released that is because members wanted otherwise, or, at least, dont have
transparency and multistakeholder participation as high priorities on this
forum. Btw, in a workshop last year in Nairobi, the US representative said
textually that the US did not believe that ITU should follow the
multistakeholder model. Someone who saw the US yesterday, in the meeting
about enhanced cooperation, ardently talking about the importance of MSism
would never imagine...

I mentioned this incoherence yesterday and made a direct reference in my
intervention about enhanced cooperation to the need to open the WCIT
process.

Best,
Mar?lia

Mar?lia

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 10:43 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>wrote:

> **
> Katitiza
>
> I did not see when this letter went around to seek endorsements. IT for
> Change would have endorsed.... We ourselves made some effort post WSIS
> through the WSIS plenary CS list, and IGC list, to seek opening up of ITU's
> documents to public access quoting provisions of WSIS documents....
> However, the effort did not succeed... parminder
>
> On Saturday 19 May 2012 01:34 PM, Katitza Rodriguez wrote:
>
> FYI:
>
> Hey ITU Member States: No More Secrecy, Release the Treaty proposals
>
> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/05/hey-itu-member-states-no-more-secrecy-release-wcit-documents-0

Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio

Center for Technology and Society