[IRP] Fwd: Fwd: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Vint Cerf op-ed in the New York Times: "Internet Access Is Not a Human Right"

Loreto Corredoira loretoc
Thu Jan 5 23:45:53 EET 2012

Of course I?d comment it. I don?t agree with V-Cerf.
The internet access it is part of the right of education (art 27 HDHR as
well as the right of communication (art. 19) in the Information Society.
Maybe it doesn?t include a particular way of connection but ACCESS not
matter how to network and therefore to content.
It has to be Universal as art 19 mentioned.
Let me express it with a metaphore: we all have freedom of circulation and
movement but if, in fact, there is not right to use the highways (an
affordable price) and these are not of good quality, the "fundamental"
right to movement would be restricted.
Sincerely,

2012/1/5 Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com>

>  FYI. Any comments?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Olivier
>
> -------- Message original --------  Sujet: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Vint Cerf
> op-ed in the New York Times: "Internet Access Is Not a Human Right"  Date :
> Wed, 4 Jan 2012 23:01:38 -0800  De : PRIVACY Forum mailing list
> <privacy at vortex.com> <privacy at vortex.com>  R?pondre ? : PRIVACY Forum
> privacy-list at vortex.com
>
> Vint Cerf op-ed in the New York Times: "Internet Access Is Not a Human Right"
>
> http://j.mp/wwL9Ip  (New York Times)
>
>    " <http://j.mp/wwL9Ip%28NewYorkTimes%29>Improving the Internet is just one means, albeit an important one, by
>     which to improve the human condition. It must be done with an
>     appreciation for the civil and human rights that deserve protection -
>     without pretending that access itself is such a right."
>
>  - - -
>
> --Lauren--
> Lauren Weinstein (lauren at vortex.com): http://www.vortex.com/lauren
> Co-Founder: People For Internet Responsibility: http://www.pfir.org
> Founder:
>  - Network Neutrality Squad: http://www.nnsquad.org
>  - Global Coalition for Transparent Internet Performance: http://www.gctip.org
>  - PRIVACY Forum: http://www.vortex.com
> Member: ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
> Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
> Google+: http://vortex.com/g+lauren
> Twitter: https://twitter.com/laurenweinstein
> Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800 / Skype: vortex.com

Loreto Corredoira
Profesora Titular de Derecho de la Informaci?n
Universidad Complutense de Madrid
cyberlaw.ucm.es
 <http://goog_1983106302>www.e-television.es <http://goog_1983106302>