[IRP] IRP Statement to Open Consultation for IGF 2010

M I Franklin cos02mf
Thu Jan 14 19:48:34 EET 2010

Dear All

Thanks for the input. Nuance and reordering along these lines and tweaking
along points made earlier can be arranged. This statement is to make a
practical as well as a principled (HR0 contribution to the consultations.
It is self-explanatory that this coalition wants to focus on HR. Practical
suggestions and a willingness to contribute to the next IGF go along with
that, at least as I see it.

Anyway, in order to allow time for the IGC and other IRP'ers to endorse the
new version of this statement, comments and suggestions until midnight GMT.
That allows time for those of you in your working day. So, stand by
tomorrow for the revised version

If people could endorse (those who haven't as yet) asap after that, then
will send it through as late as possible tomorrow night GMT.

One suggestion following on from this: as this statement is a contribution
to the open consultations in practical terms as well as a change to put the
IRP's main goal on record rather than a fully developed manifesto as such,
perhaps we could take this statement as a springboard for more discussions
within the list about concrete ways for IRP to contribute to the Vilnius
meeting; workshops, main sessions, etc etc.

ciao
MF

--On Thursday, January 14, 2010 17:07 +0000 Lisa Horner
<lisa at global-partners.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>

> I agree that we need to take care not to imply that we don't think that
> issues of openness and diversity are important, but rather that we need
> to drill down more deeply to address specific issues within them,
> preferably using human rights framing.? We could maybe do this by
> bringing 1d and 1e together, and changing the beginning of the sentence
> for 1e to something like, "Whilst openness and diversity are important
> issues, we think this year is the moment to broach more specific
> questions or policy dilemmas within these broad themes".
>

> Marianne, in response to your earlier question, I think we have until the
> end of tomorrow to send it, but I don't think it matters which time
> zone we take that to mean!? Let's go for the US to give us more
> time!? We send it to igf at unog.ch.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Lisa

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader
Convener of the Transnational Communications & Global Media Program
Media & Communications
Goldsmiths, University of London
New Cross
London SE14 6NW