[IRPCoalition] Open letter to Zuckerberg re: Internet.org

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Tue May 12 15:10:48 EEST 2015

Dear Khaled

Your point is a fair one, that applies to all the networks of
organizations and individuals who have been mobilizing, and producing
concrete outcomes around these issues. For the IRP Coalition in light of
the IRPC Charter of Human Rights and Principles for the Internet, and
within its role as one of the Dynamic Coalitions that are part of the
IGF process, making sure that a letter such as this is communicated as
widely as possible is but a start.

Do they care? Good question! The jury is out at present as to whether
Facebook's management will pay attention; my guess (as I have no
figures) is that a sizable number of Fb users who are active on this
platform need to know about this, but many already know so it is also a
question of mobilizing within FB. This has been done before to good effect.

Am copying in Josh Levy at Access who can perhaps tell us more about how
this particular campaign joins up with others, in civil society and in
governments, who object to this initiative from the point of view of
human rights and fundamental freedoms online.

Best wishes
MF

On 12/05/2015 13:04, khaled Fattal Hotmail wrote:

> Dear Marianne and all,
>
> I read with interest what the letter says and I do share many of your
> concerns. The questions I ponder is how are you disseminating this
> position around the global internet to create the pressure needed to
> encourage / force Facebook to change or modify its plans? is Facebook
> paying attention? Do they care?
>
> Best
>
> Khaled Fattal

Marianne Franklin, PhD
Professor of Global Media and Politics
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Goldsmiths (University of London)
Department of Media & Communications
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 20 7919 7072
<m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk>
@GloComm
https://twitter.com/GloComm
http://www.gold.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/franklin/
https://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/ma-global-media-transnational-communications/
Chair of the Global Internet Governance Academic Network (GigaNet)
Steering Committee/Former Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (UN IGF)
www.internetrightsandprinciples.org
@netrights