[IRPCoalition] Just Net Coalition statement to BRICS summit on Internet Governance and Human Rights

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Jul 18 21:30:55 EEST 2014

Hello Carolina

What we're doing is that each of JNC's statements is approved by means
of a consensus call on JNC's members mailing list running at least 48
hours. This gives each and every member the opportunity to make an
objection is they so choose.

The current list of JNC members is publicly available at
http://justnetcoalition.org/jnc-members .

The typical process for drafting statements is that this is done
through an informal group of whoever among JNC's members wants to
participate in a particular drafting process, with occasional postings
to the full members list to solicit additional input.

A key reason why this approach works to create meaningful statements
(as opposed to the relatively bland kind of statement that is the
typical output of consensus processes in highly diverse groups, like
for example the WSIS+10 HLE's MPP) is that JNC membership is based on
broad agreement on a significant number of points, as documented in the
Delhi Declaration http://justnetcoalition.org/delhi-declaration .

Greetings,
Norbert
co-convenor, Just Net Coalition (JNC)