[IRPCoalition] EC "Internet Policy and Governance" & UK IGF

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Mon Feb 24 19:05:18 EET 2014

Dear Andrea, and all

Here are some brief, and rather belated thoughts and observations from
the 2014 UK IGF (http://ukigf.org.uk/events/) and the workshop session
in IG Principles where the EC "Internet Policy and Governance - Europe's
role in shaping the future of Internet governance" (COM(2014) 72/4) was
on the table for responses:

First, on the plenary session where Ed Vaizey, the Minister for Culture,
Communications and the Creative Industries, gave a keynote. The Q&A
pivoted on the implications of Snowden's revelations on UK government's
approach to Internet Governance, especially the focus on forging a set
of universal principles and along with that the prospects for
multistakeholder participatory models. His response to one of the final
questions, on how "to keep politics out of it" was that this was
impossible. He went on to note that the West does not have all the
answers, and moreover (and here I am quoting from my notes) that "it is
a myth that America runs, or wants to run the internet. ... the US is a
benign force in Internet Governance".

The full transcript should be on the UK IGF website, as it was a short
speech.

Second, the session on IG Principles; line up was as follows: ·Matthew
McDermott, Access Partnership (Moderator);·Paul Blaker, DCMS;·Marianne
Franklin, IRPC/ Goldsmiths (University of London);·Nigel Hickson,
ICANN;·Jean-Jacques Sahel, Microsoft; Matthew Shears, Center for
Democracy and Technology

We had a full discussion of the various positions on what sort of IG
Principles should be agreed upon, by whom, and moreover from what pool
of already existing principles. IRPC members are well aware of how the
coalition sees this discussion in terms of the IRP Charter as an
articulation of human rights and principles of the Internet in the
round. So I will just note some comments from Paul Blaker representing
Ed Vaizey's department, Jean-Jacques Sahel from Skype-Microsoft, and
Nigel Hickson from ICANN. Reason being that this meeting was an
opportunity to hear what UK government officials and technical community
members had to say on these points (there were academics and some civil
society folk there but it was mainly government and business, if I am
not mistaken).

The main distinction was about whether pursuing a single set of
principles, with the objective of the upcoming Net Mundial in mind, or
whether it is preferable to work with the  "open, competitive market in
principles" (Blakey) that already exists. Blakey noted some concern from
the UK governmental view that pursuing one single set of principles
"could be dangerous". Mr Sahel concurred in that from an industry view,
the question was whether there is a need for one single set of
principles; would not several sets be more practicable. The panel then
considered definitional issues around internet governance and where all
stakeholders have or can play a formative rather than a nominal role;
here the notion or rather lack of trust was a theme that we all
concurred on. Mathew Shears (CDT) stressed how the principles discussion
converges on shared points around IG as a process, whilst we all
differed on the more substantive matters e.g. which principles and/as
human rights count for the exercise. The panel ended with a round of
participants considering what makes a good principle (definitional
matters notwithstanding): The outcome of this brainstorm was the
following: a "good IG Principle" whatever it is needs to be
- future proof
- respecting all human rights
- aware of provenance and diversity (i.e. the need for cultural
sensitivity and openness)
- agreed by all across geographies and by governments
- agree to key concepts as baselines.

So, here we see that this panel moved up a level of abstraction from the
level aspired to by the Net Mundial meeting. Which led to a question
from the moderator about whether a truly global set of principles is
possible. Nigel Hickson (ICANN) noted that his preference would be to
start top down, and then "go down to details"; I argued that the Charter
has already gone a long way, and includes a number of rights and
principles that are being overlooked in the current post-Snowden climate
(e.g. development, women's rights, children, disability, education,
cultural diversity). Our moderator, Matthew McDermott, summed it all up
by noting that the sum total of these deliberations was the "IG
principles should enable better IG Principles". I then took the
opportunity to present copies (the last as it happens of the first print
run) of the Charter Booklet to Messrs Blaney and Sahel who have yet to
get their own copy.

Third, turning to the EC Communication. We all welcomed it in principle.
But there is one section that would be good to have some elucidation on.
I paste it in below from Page 8 where mention is made of "Mutual
interactions between technical and public policy considerations". It
would be interesting to hear more about what this would entail in
practice particularly with debates around the extent of governmental
input into IG an area for quite divergent positions within and across
those groups heading to Brazil:  (FYI press release, at
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-142_en.htm and full text at
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/newsroom/cf/dae/document.cfm?doc_id=4453)

Andrea, if you want to comment please feel free. Also if I have
inadvertently misquoted or misrepresented participants' views please
feel free to correct. A report of the panel will be online at some point
in the future

thanks all
MF

<m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk>