[IRPCoalition] #netrights at IGF2014: Updates and News

IRPCoalition info at irpcharter.org
Wed Aug 27 20:33:14 EEST 2014

Dear all

The 2014 IGF starts next week and the program is in place. For a quick
overview of IRPC sessions see
http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/site/ for links to Workshops 83
<cid:part2.01070702.09030801 at irpcharter.org>, 146
<http://igf2014.sched.org/event/b78a96b68de216dd4eb856751658c729?iframe=yes&w=i:0;&sidebar=yes&bg=no>,
225
<http://igf2014.sched.org/event/108673c90f772a94e889c94a72651104?iframe=yes&w=i:0;&sidebar=yes&bg=no>
and the IRPC Roundtable and Meeting on Thursday afternoon at 4.30pm
<http://igf2014.sched.org/event/6351f1d8c02523edc26c9274e6bb82ff?iframe=yes&w=i:0;&sidebar=yes&bg=no#?iframe=yes&w=i:0;&sidebar=yes&bg=no>-

Some highlights of what the coalition has achieved during the summer
recess:
1) The Turkish edition of the IRPC Charter Booklet
<http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/IRPC_Booklet_Turkish_final.pdf>is
ready online and we will be launching this edition along with the 2nd
edition of the Arabic Booklet and 4th edition of the English booklet in
Istanbul. Our thanks to the Turkish Pirate Party, in particular Serhat
Koc and Burcu Baklioglu for their tireless attention to translation
detail and coherence and to the WebWeWant campaign for financial support
<https://webwewant.org/projects/The_IRPC_Charter_of_Human_Rights_and_Principles_for_the_Internet_Booklet_Project>
for the Turkish Booklet production, updating of the English booklet
printrun and, for the near future, funds to finalise the full Spanish
Booklet to accompany the Spanish language IRPC Charter
<http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Carta-DDHH-Internet-Espa%C3%B1ol-Final.pdf>.
We would also like to thank the Hivos IGMENA Program for their financial
support of the Arabic Edition of the IRPC Charter Booklet
<http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/IRPC_Booklet-Arabic_2ndedition.pdf>,
and the translation effort that went into that . And, while we are at
it, thanks to all German speakers who have been promoting the German
Booklet
<http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/GermanCover.jpg>
released during the 2014 EuroDIG.

2) We also are looking forward to new participants in the netrights work
in Turkey who have worked hard with Freedom House to put together one of
the few sessions run by Turkish Civil Society on this year's program. It
will be a great session (WS 225), 9am on Friday morning
<http://igf2014.sched.org/event/108673c90f772a94e889c94a72651104?iframe=yes&w=i:100;&sidebar=yes&bg=no>
so bring your coffee and breakfast fare with you so we can show our
support for this initiative.

We will be tweeting as @netrights, with main hashtag #netrights.

All in all a great week lined up with high quality panellists to move
our conversations forward, and discuss next steps
<http://igf2014.sched.org/event/6351f1d8c02523edc26c9274e6bb82ff?iframe=yes&w=i:0;&sidebar=yes&bg=no>for
the IRPC Charter itself, and the IRP Coalition's contribution to the IGF
in the year to come. There will be news and updates on several key
projects that have been implementing the Charter on the ground in WS 83,
case studies and discussions about anonymity as an integral part of
human rights for the online environment in WS 146, and how freedoms
online are at stake in the Turkish context in WS225.

We look forward to seeing you all there, in these sessions and others in
which IRPC individuals and organizations are taking part, or organizing.

Safe travels all.
MF, RB and the IRPC SC

--
Internet Rights and Principles Coalition
UN Internet Governance Forum