[IRPCoalition] Fwd: [APC-IGF] Invitation to Disco-tech Istanbul

joy joy at apc.org
Wed Aug 27 09:28:07 EEST 2014

Hi all - sharing this invitation from APC for those attending the IGF
next week.
Regards
Joy

Dear friends:

This year we saw the insecurity of digital networks and information at
the hands of the Turkish government. World-wide it is becoming
increasingly important to all internet users due to the increase in
incidences of governments and corporations complicit in internet
blackouts and mass surveillance of netizens and human rights defenders.
Journalists, democracy activists, women human rights defenders and
sexual rights activists, who use ICTs to report on and campaign against
human rights abuses face surveillance, censorship, information security
vulnerabilities, and information security compromises that can be life
threatening.

To shed light on the practical steps that members of civil society can
take to protect themselves and their activism, APC, Tactical Tech and
Web Foundation are hosting a peer-learning session on the night before
the global IGF in Istanbul, 1 September 2014.

For those in Bali last year, it is our second Disco-tech at the IGF. For
newcomers, we call it a "Disco-tech" because the format of the event is
very unique. Participants can learn about technological solutions in an
inspiring and relaxed yet high-energy atmosphere.

Short talks on online censorship, internet blocking and circumvention
will inspire and mix up discussion among participants. Participants are
also invited to follow up their learnings at our "help desk" booth
stationed throught the IGF in the exhibition hall.

Event details

Date/time: 19:00 -- 22:00 Monday, 1 September 2014
Venue: Sofa Hotel[1]
Transport: walking distance from IGF venue; Osmanbey metro station
Attendance: Approx. 150 people
Food: Light snacks and drinks

We really hope that you can join us and please bring your colleagues and
partners as well. Speakers include: Amie Stepanovich, Access; Ahmet A.
Sabanc, Alternatif Bilis,im; Andrew Gardner, Amnesty International;
Mohammad Tarakiyee, Association for Progressive Communications; Fieke
Jansen, Hivos; Jessica Dheere, Social Media Exchange; Paz Pena, Derechos
Digitales; Serhat Koç, Pirate Party Turkey; Bishakha Datta, Point of
View -- an excellent lineup!

An RSVP to mallory at apc.org would be much appreciated.

See you in Istanbul!

Mallory Knodel, APC