[IRP] ACTION: What’s Your Anti-Surveillance Success Story?

Katitza Rodriguez katitza
Wed Oct 31 02:14:35 EET 2012

Dear IRPers:

Government surveillance is a growing problem. From North America to
South America, Europe to the Pacific Rim, proposals for mandatory data
retention, lawful interception, legislative proposals to broaden law
enforcement access to digital communications and other forms of
government surveillance threaten to jeopardize individuals? rights to
privacy and freedom of expression.

No one understands these challenges better than advocates who work
tirelessly to protect and uphold individuals? fundamental rights, and
that is why the International Privacy Team at the Electronic Frontier
Foundation is asking you to share the story of how you?re combating this
growing surveillance trend in your country.

Few tools are more powerful and effective for sharing knowledge and
information than storytelling. That?s why we?ve begun a project of
collecting success stories on fighting surveillance to compile and share
with a global coalition of advocates who are countering problematic
proposals in their own country and working to promote privacy-enhancing
solutions. Our goal is to create a collection of case studies that can
be packaged and distributed as a toolkit for digital freedom activists.

We want to help you share your story, get the word out, and inspire
activists worldwide. To aid us in this effort, please take a few moments
to respond to this brief questionnaire. Responses to each question
should not be longer than 150 words. Please send your responses in an
email to Rebecca Bowe, EFF?s International Privacy Coordinator
(rbowe at eff.org) and include ?Anti-Surveillance Success Story? in the
subject line. Supporting materials can be attached separately.

If you are super busy (as usual), please send us your Skype username and
Rebecca will do a brief interview with you on this topic -- but be sure
to include the same subject line for your message. We will share the
final version of our Success Stories for Privacy package once it has
been completed.

Here are the questions:

What was the government surveillance proposal you responded to? Please
describe the nature of the surveillance proposal/ program/ bills, and
include any relevant links.
How did you formulate a strategy in response? (ie. litigation, FOIA
requests, blogging, video / new media campaign)
How did you garner media attention about your campaign? How did you
influence the public messaging around your issue? What ?memes? did you
use to counteract the government?s framing of the issue? (i.e. when
governments justify the need for a program by highlighting child porn,
terrorism, or the war on drugs).
How did your efforts affect the outcome of the proposal or surveillance
practice?
What are some lessons, tips and/ or advice that you have gained from
this experience and would like to share with global activists working on
digital rights issues?

Your answers to these questions can help EFF to create a valuable
resource for digital freedom activists throughout the world. Thank you
for devoting time and attention to this project.

Sincerely,

--
Katitza Rodriguez
International Rights Director
katitza at eff.org
katitza at datos-personales.org (personal email)

Please support EFF - Working to protect your digital rights and freedom of speech since 1990