[IRPCoalition] Fwd: Fwd: Invitation to the first WSIS+10 review event - Towards Knowledge Societies for Peace and Sustainable Development, UNESCO HQ, Paris, France, 25–27 February 2013

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Thu Nov 29 13:58:30 EET 2012

Subject: Invitation to the multi-stakeholder WSIS+10 review event
entitled Towards Knowledge Societies for Peace and Sustainable Development,

*UNESCO Headquarters, Paris, France, 25–27 February 2013*

**Dear Sir/ Madam,

Ten years after the adoption of the Geneva Plan of Action by the World
Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) setting specific targets for
2015, it is our pleasure to invite you to participate in the
multi-stakeholder WSIS+10 review event entitled Towards Knowledge
Societies for Peace and Sustainable Development, which is being
co-organized by UNESCO, ITU, UNCTAD and UNDP, and will be held at UNESCO
Headquarters in Paris (France), from 25 to 27 February 2013.

ICTs have proven to be key enablers for advancing sustainable
development, but while the WSIS Declaration of Principles remains
relevant today, societies and the entire ICT landscape, have changed.
The spread of mobile technologies, social media and broadband has, for
example, affected socio-economic, behavioural and environmental
dimensions in all spheres of our lives. It has become imperative to
reflect, at a global level, on recent and future information technology
and knowledge transformations, and to develop a new vision for
sustainable knowledge societies beyond 2015 and thus for the discussions
of the post-2015 development agenda. This first multi-stakeholder review
event will look at the WSIS Action Line achievements, and will analyze
recent developments as well as forecasts. It will also recommend some
input to the post-2015 process.

Given the principle of multi-stakeholder participation and in line with
established WSIS practices, a series of open online consultations will
be carried out further to define the thematic focus and format of this
event. In addition, preparatory reports will be presented for
collaborative online editing, in order to allow input from all
stakeholders. The tentative schedule for the preparatory process is
enclosed in Annex I.

We look forward both to your active participation in this process in
person or virtually towards developing a new vision for knowledge
societies for peace and sustainable development. For more information
about this event, including registration or accommodation, we invite you
to consult the WSIS 2013 website at www.unesco.org/wsis2013
<http://www.unesco-ci.org/newsletter/lt/t_go.php?i=3731&e=MjI4MzM1&l=-http--www.unesco.org/wsis2013>
and/or contact Mr Cedric Wachholz at UNESCO’s Communication and
Information Sector (tel: + 33 1 45 68 47 65; e-mail: wsisteam at unesco.org
<mailto:wsisteam at unesco.org>).**

**

*Official invitation letter is available in Arabic, Chinese, English,
French, Russian and Spanish at www.unesco.org/wsis2013