[IRP] Hedgehogs to the keyboard, please

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa
Wed Jan 25 01:52:05 EET 2012

Dear Matthias,

It is worth noting that access and the capacity to understand and
contribute to pluralism with regards to the Internet is a very long
road for us in developing world countries. We are restricted first in
speech and the governance mechanisms that govern us threaten our lives
when the issues of Freedom of Expression and Open Speech come up. We
are surrounded by countries that do not respect the Human Rights
Declaration and have citizens that are not aware of their rights and
the state keeps them within those boundaries of a governance shell.

On the other hand, assembly for political change is something that is
slowly building up in Pakistan though it is at a very nascent state. I
wrote an article on my blog discussing some of the happenings in
Pakistan where political parties are realizing the potential impact
for gathering supporters through online means:

"Politics and Social Media in Pakistan - The struggle for new power
within an immature democracy!"
http://internetsgovernance.blogspot.com/2012/01/politics-and-social-media-in-pakistan.html

The process will remain very slow. In the event of revolutions, there
are various offline issues that have burdened societies for decades
and at the end of the day, offline groups gather and engage with the
broader masses using online means to create crowds and spread their
message. Even in the Arab Spring, there were on the ground Youth
Groups that organized themselves, reported and also participated
deeply in the activism.

Another important aspect I thing that contributes to increased use of
Internet/Web access for assembly is availability because without at
least 512kbps on broadband and 3G/4G, uploading videos and photos
quickly would be a big challenge. So there is a combination of first
offline recognition of human rights and their defense at the
social/society and political level and then the economics of
Internet/Web access and the capacity to join in conversations and
reporting online.

This is an interrelated concept. I would definitely like to connect
and contribute to the collaboratory.

Best

Fouad Bajwa

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Kettemann, Matthias
(matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at) <matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at>