[IRP] PROTECT IP no longer coming for a vote!

Shahzad Ahmad shahzad
Tue Jan 24 10:03:45 EET 2012

From: Jillian C. York [mailto:jillian at eff.org]
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:33 AM
To: Jochai Ben-Avie
Cc: raegan at accessnow.org; fatimacambronero at gmail.com; kosta at ahumanright.org;
jessica at smex.org; ali at tacticaltech.org; shearman at victoria.tc.ca;
arthit at gmail.com; pwolff at dijest.com; nathan at guardianproject.info;
marcin.dekaminski at gmail.com; douglas at publicsphereproject.org;
valerie.peugeot at gmail.com; fredericsultan at gmail.com; marlyntadros at gmail.com;
yvette at witness.org; sam at witness.org; mmitar at gmail.com;
moritz at torservers.net; 10com at operamail.com; cynthia at cdt.org; andrew at cdt.org;
losey at newamerica.net; team
Subject: Re: PROTECT IP no longer coming for a vote!

While I'm glad to see this effort, I highly suggest using something other
than Google Groups.  Why not a proprietary email list of some sort?

-Jillian

On 1/23/12 12:40 PM, Jochai Ben-Avie wrote:

Dear friends and colleagues,

Over the weekend I've been doing a lot of thinking about how we can maintain
the momentum and power of all of the groups that have come together to fight
SOPA & PIPA. The scale and scope of action taken around this legislation is
unprecedented and shows the influence we can have when we work together. But
what actually made this ad hoc coalition so effective and how can we harness
this energy ahead of the next battle? Some thoughts:

1) Sharing information. I think in every political capitol, but particularly
in Washington D.C., things happen very quickly and it can be hard for
international groups to keep their finger on the pulse of what's happening.
By pooling information, it is much easier to get a complete picture of what
"the other side" is planning, allowing us to identify leverage points and
spend resources most effectively.

2) Coordinated messaging. While there is certainly a balance to be struck
between having a diversity of voices and a unified narrative when
international human rights organizations speak out against a rights-abusing
law, there is also value in knowing what other groups are going to be doing
and saying. This enables us to avoid conflict and to position our
organizations most strategically.

3) Common action. There are times when a chorus of opposition can be
influential (e.g., when each groups speaks out against a law individually),
but when it comes to the international human rights community, I think we
can also have a very powerful impact if we speak in one voice. We've heard
that our letters about SOPA and PIPA were particularly effective in this
regard. For example, we saw many of the talking points from our letter about
SOPA in the White House's statement on this legislation.

This is not the last time that the international human rights community will
have to come together to defeat a particular digital rights-abusing law.
Indeed, SOPA and PIPA are likely to rear their ugly heads again sometime in
the next few weeks. And, of course, let us not forget about ACTA. While the
international human rights community can't speak out about every law that
threatens digital rights or the integrity of the internet, it's important
that we share information about what's happening around the world, taking
coordinated action when it makes sense to do so. While we're all on many
lists, I don't think there is an existing comprehensive listserv that
achieves the goals outlined above. To help in coordinating sign-on in the
previous three letters (around the eG8, SOPA, and PIPA), we've created a
list of the contact people at a number of human rights organizations
internationally (incidentally, the recipients of this email). To speak to
the goals above and make it easier for everyone on this thread to coordinate
action of the international human rights community, we've created a google
group for international digital rights organizations
(digitalrightsorgs at googlegroups.com). We've initially sent invitations to
orgs that signed one of the letters about the eG8, SOPA, or PIPA (about 100
in total), but if there are others who should be included, just let me know.

Cheers,

Jochai

--

Jochai Ben-Avie