[IRP] Fwd: Re: International Digital Rights Coalition mailing list

Matthias C. Kettemann matthias.kettemann
Sat Feb 11 13:59:05 EET 2012

Dear all,

that's nice of you, Graciela. I already sent an e-amil to Jochai
yesterday suggesting the same approach. Let's see what they have to say.

Kind regards

Matthias

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: 	[IRP] and [IRDC] Merging as an alternativ to migrating?
Datum: 	Fri, 10 Feb 2012 16:52:44 +0100
Von: 	Matthias C. Kettemann <matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at>
An: 	jochai at accessnow.org
Kopie (CC): 	gurstein at gmail.com, lmcknigh at syr.edu, Dixie Hawtin
<Dixie at global-partners.co.uk>

Dear Jochai,

I hope you're doing fine. Thanks for subscribing the IRPers to the new
IRDC list, but this has create some confusion - especially as one e-mail
was entitled "migration to the new list". Some our members thought that
we have stealthily renamed the Internet Rights and Principles Coalition;
others worried that the abbreviation IRDC might be mistaken for the
Canadian International Development Research Center which is actively
supporting digital rights research.

Since we would greatly appreciate the input of AccessNow and its members
some of us were thinking why not just to merge the new IRDC list with
our list, if your lists' members are amenable to working with us on the
future of Internet Rights and Principles.

Wouldn't using irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org streamline
communication and ensure quick and concerted yet decentralized action,
when required?

Let me know your thoughts.

I'm cc'ing Dixie, my co-chair, and two coalition members who have
written helpful mails on this issue.

Kind regards

Matthias

--
Matthias C. Kettemann
Co-Chair

Am 11.02.2012 12:48, schrieb Graciela Selaimen:
> Hi,
>
> I've just sent this to the "IDRC" list.
>
> best,
> Graciela
>
> ************
>
> Dear all,
>
> I agree that using the IDRC acronym in this specific case would lead to
> much confusion. Besides the issue of the name, I totally agree with Lee
> that it would be interesting that those in this group who are not in the
> IRP Coalition join it. I don't see the point of creating another
> coalition with the same objectives - defending digital rights or human
> rights in digital environments. Why not join forces? We're all working
> based on the same principles and with the same objectives (I believe so!).
>
> all the best,
> Graciela Selaimen
> Instituto Nupef
> Brasil

Univ.-Ass. Mag. iur. Matthias C. Kettemann, LL.M. (Harvard)

Institut f?r V?lkerrecht und Internationale Beziehungen
Karl-Franzens-Universit?t Graz

Universit?tsstra?e 15/A4, 8010 Graz, ?sterreich

T | +43 316 380 6711 (B?ro)
M | +43 676 701 7175 (mobil)
F | +43 316 380 9455
E | matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at
Blog | internationallawandtheinternet.blogspot.com

--

Mag. iur. Matthias C. Kettemann, LL.M. (Harvard)
Teaching and Research Fellow

Institute of International Law and International Relations
University of Graz

Universit?tsstra?e 15/A4, 8010 Graz, Austria

T | +43 316 380 6711 (office)
M | +43 676 701 7175 (mobile)
F | +43 316 380 9455
E | matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at
Blog | internationallawandtheinternet.blogspot.com