[IRP] FYI - New CoE group of experts on "Rights of Internet Users"

Dixie Hawtin Dixie
Fri Apr 20 11:58:20 EEST 2012

Hi all -

Meryem, this seems like a really great opportunity for the IRP to feed in (and hopefully shape) some initiatives at the CoE to push our Charter and 10 IRPs further... thanks for putting some IRP people up as potential experts. And of course, the more IRP members who are able to finance themselves to participate as an "observer" the better.

Moving forward, I think the best thing to do would be to identify who in the Coalition is interested in feeding in to this initiative, and then making a smaller working group to focus on this issue and coordinate IRP involvement in the group. Do we have a sense of when the CoE is going to announce who is on the expert group, and what kind of timeframe we are working on?

Thanks again Meryem!

Also just to let everyone know - the IRP Working Group for the IGF are working on a number of workshop proposals which we will be submitting today. One is a provocative look at the concept of multi-stakeholderism, one is looking at whether access to the Internet is a human right (following up on the Oped Vint Cerf wrote earlier this year), and one is on empowering internet users (which we are co-sponsoring with the Council of Europe). I will forward the links to the proposals once they are all up online.

In addition to this we will also have our IRP workshop, which we seek to use to really promote awareness and campaign on the 10 IRPs!

Best,
Dixie

-----Original Message-----
From: irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org [mailto:irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org] On Behalf Of David Goldberg
Sent: 20 April 2012 08:31
To: Meryem Marzouki
Cc: IRP
Subject: Re: [IRP] FYI - New CoE group of experts on "Rights of Internet Users"

Dear Meryem,

I could be interested in being an "observer" at the Expert Group...and I do understand what you say about that being a self-financing role...

Best wishes,

David

--
"Ye canna get leave tae thrive for thrang", A Ramsay (ed) A collection of Scots Proverbs (1736) _______________________________________________