[IRP] CoE Expert group "Rights of Internet Users" / Stockholm Internet Forum

Matthias C. Kettemann matthias.kettemann
Fri Apr 20 07:11:34 EEST 2012

Dear Meryem

that's great, thank you. We'll be sure to follow-up on this.

Just writing to let you know that IRP's side event at the Stockholm
Internet Forum (http://goo.gl/5p8U1) met with great success. Wolfgang
Kleinw?chter, Martin Fleischer (Internet diplomacy czar of the German
governemnt), Anriette from APC and I discussed with more than 20
interested participants the biggest challenges to implemenenting our
Charter, the 10 R&P and HR on the Internet more generally. We all agreed
that operationalization of HR would be a central challenge in 2012.

Let me conclude with one of the nicer quotes from the exciting
conference that sums up pretty well why wer are doing what we are doing
- and why we should continue to fight for human rights on the Internet.
And think about how best to operationalize them in 2012.

Her it goes:

/"Internet is awesome. Therefore, it needs to remain free."/
*Niklas Lundblad*, Sweden, Director of Public Policy Google Inc.

What's more to say?

Kind regards

Matthias

Am 19.04.2012 19:15, schrieb Meryem Marzouki:
> Dear IRP colleagues,
>
> I'm representing EDRI (European Digital Rights) as observer to the Council of Europe CDMSI (Steering Committee on Media and Information Society, which held its 1st meeting agenda here: http://www.coe.int/t/dghl/standardsetting/media/CDMC/default_en.asp). Among many items on the agenda, the creation of an expert group on "Rights of Internet Users" was (MC-RIU) proposed by the Secretariat and discussed.
>
> The tentative Terms of References and workplan proposed by the Secretariat  (see above link) were discussed during the 1st CDMSI meeting.
> Members States delegates agreed on its creation, provided that the terms of references are modified a bit, so that item (iii) of the "Main Tasks" now reads: "(iii) advise the CDMSI, upon its request, on all questions within its area of competence and on rights and responsibilities of internet users, intermediaries, and other internet actors."
>
> Anyway, the tasks remain wide enough to develop interesting work in the framework of the MC-RIU group. The main objective for the group, besides the "compendium of Internet users rights" would be to focus on existing recourses and remedies for users.
>
> The group is supposed to be formed by 13 experts (this is the maximum allowed by the available budget, since experts are reimbursed for their expenses to attend the group meetings). It is currently written that these 13 will be 7 Member States representatives and 6 independent experts. After the discussion, there will be "at least" 7 Member States representatives. Of course, there could be more participants in the group, but the additional people will be called "observers". Note that the main difference is that observers don't get reimbursed for their expenses.
>
> CDMSI members and observers were asked to send expression of interests and suggestions for independent experts (i.e. others than member states representatives) to the Secretariat by April 16. The CDMSI bureau will decide on final selection.
>
> On behalf of EDRI, I expressed our interest to participate as expert, and I made suggestions for other independent experts, taking into account many criteria, such as a willing to include IRP people, as well as gender and country balance (needed to have the suggestions considered) and the fact that budget-wise, it is unlikely that the CoE would bring people based outside of the European continent.
> Again, not being in the small group of experts that will be selected doesn't mean not being able to participate to the work, though without travel funding to attend meetings. As the attached workplan mentions, at-large consultations will also be organized.

> [...]

Univ.-Ass. Mag. iur. Matthias C. Kettemann, LL.M. (Harvard)

Institut f?r V?lkerrecht und Internationale Beziehungen
Karl-Franzens-Universit?t Graz

Universit?tsstra?e 15/A4, 8010 Graz, ?sterreich

T | +43 316 380 6711 (B?ro)
M | +43 676 701 7175 (mobil)
F | +43 316 380 9455
E | matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at
Blog | internationallawandtheinternet.blogspot.com

--

Mag. iur. Matthias C. Kettemann, LL.M. (Harvard)
Teaching and Research Fellow

Institute of International Law and International Relations
University of Graz

Universit?tsstra?e 15/A4, 8010 Graz, Austria

T | +43 316 380 6711 (office)
M | +43 676 701 7175 (mobile)
F | +43 316 380 9455
E | matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at
Blog | internationallawandtheinternet.blogspot.com