[IRP] IRP Famine-Refugee Relief Support

M.I.Franklin cos02mf
Thu Sep 22 15:41:59 EEST 2011

Dear All

Over the last weeks a small group of coalition members has been working on
a fundraising initiative aiming to raise awareness as well as funds to
support famine-relief and humanitarian help for those suffering from famine
and forced displacement in the Horn of Africa.

When this was first suggested on the list we had a lively discussion about
how, indeed whether such an effort is related to Internet Governance issues
or the remit of the IRP Charter and Ten Principles.

To make a stronger case, indeed to be sure there is evidence of how ICTs
and IG issues pertain specifically to this sort of humanitarian crisis, we
have spent the last few weeks compiling information on who is doing what,
current facts and figures about the situation on the ground at the
Kenyan-Somali border, and considering how these reflect on  IG and human
rights advocacy.

This is what we have so far; a call, a background note and fact-sheet and
some proposals for action. This draft statement is available here as an
attached document and on  Google docs

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zHuIF5UN9xquMDfdsb0V7cS3tDX1j0xSq4lLJC50cLM/edit?pli=1&hl=en_US>.

We would like to ask coalition members to let us know what they think about
1) the initiative as a coalition-led one
2) Possible ' candidate' organizations or initiatives who we can raise
funds for + the best means to raise the money in the quickest and most
effective way (see the list
3) Any comments or updated information to develop the fact-sheet.

FYI, if members endorse this initiative, we have a Wiki page and space for
a fund-raiser link ready to go up on the coalition webpage.

So, with the IGF around the corner and many people getting ready to head
off to Kenya, we are keen to hear your views.

Thanks!
MF

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader/Convener of the Transnational Communications & Global Media Program
Media & Communications
Goldsmiths, University of London
New Cross
London SE14 6NW