[IRP] Important: IRP meetings at the IGF

Dixie Hawtin Dixie
Tue Sep 20 17:02:43 EEST 2011

Hi all - some last minute information and requests for the IGF:

*IRP workshop*
11-12:30 on Tuesday 27 September
As mentioned beforehand. The first half hour will be a catch up on IRP activities over the past year (especially the 10 Internet Rights and Principles). And from 11:30 to 12:30 we will be discussing the issue of copyright in Internet Governance - hopefully drawing up a human rights message and some ideas about where the main challenges are going to come from over the next year and what we can do to promote the public interest. We already have Jochai Ben-Avie, Katitza Rodrigues, Jeremy Malcolm and Joana Varon as confirmed speakers. But please participate (in person or remotely) with examples from your countries about the relationship between copyright and internet freedom, and with ideas for what we as a Coalition should be doing to promote approaches that respect and promote human rights.

*Informal IRP workshop*
12:30 - 13:30 on Tuesday 27 September
Seeing as the meeting ends just before lunch time - I think this would be an ideal time for out internal IRP meeting. This is a very important meeting where we will discuss the organisation of the IRP (including the process for electing a new chair) and where we can set some priorities for strategies and activites over the next year. Please let me know if you can make this meeting! As we will be in the same room I assume we will be able to use the remote participation facilities for anyone who wants to join this discussion but cannot attend the IGF in person.

Finally - Workshop on exporting surveillance technologies to authoritarian regimes
11-12:30 Thursday 29 September
Together with Ben Wagner and Hivos, we are organising a workshop looking at the practice of exporting surveillance technologies to authoritarian regimes and what can be done about it. They want the Coalition to use our work (the Charter and 10 IRPs) to introduce the session - with a background about how human rights apply to the Internet environment and what the challenges are of enforcing traditional human rights in the new environment (and some of our thinking about how that can be done), and this will lead into their discussion which will focus exclusively on privacy, surveillance and exporting technologies. Meryem Marzouki was going to introduce the session but she is no longer able to attend the IGF. Would anyone else like to do this? Someone with an interest in privacy issues would be particularly welcome. If not, I am in the session (acting as remote moderator) so am able to do this - but I think it would be great to get as many different people representing the Coalition as possible! If you are interested please send me a private email or send a message through to the list.

That's all! The Statement on Internet governance and social justice (in the context of the East African famine) should be coming out in the next couple of days so keep your eyes out for that. And I look forward to seeing many of you very soon in nairobi!
Dixie