[IRP] New Co-chair

shaila mistry shailam
Tue Oct 11 19:08:36 EEST 2011

Congratulations Matthias and welcome!
Thank you for your hard work thus far Dixie
?Look forward to working with you both
?Shaila

?
The journey begins sooner than you anticipate !
..................... the renaissance of composure !

________________________________
From: "Kettemann, Matthias (matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at)" <matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at>
To: "irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org" <irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:40 AM
Subject: [IRP]  New Co-chair

Dear all
?
I am excited to be the coalition?s new co-chair and look forward tremendously to working with Dixie and for our members. Dixie and I have braced the Nairobi sun, the IGF workshops and the warthogs in Nairobi National Park together, so I am sure we?ll be doing a great job together.
?
A word about me: I hold a law degree from the University of Graz (2006), a degree in transnational law from the University of Geneva (2005) and a master of laws degree from Harvard Law School (2010) which I attended as a Fulbright and Boas Scholar. Currently, I am in the finishing stages of my doctoral degree at the Institute of International Law and International Relations of the University of Graz, Austria, where I work as a research and teaching fellow to IRP member Professor Wolfgang Benedek, of Charter fame.
?
I have been fascinated by the role of human rights online for some time, both on a personal and a professional level. I have given presentation on the role of human rights on the Internet to audiences from school children to seniors and am currently teaching Austria?s first course on international law and the Internet at our law faculty.
?
Which ideas do I bring to the table? I would like our coalition to strengthen its role as a center of excellence for Internet rights and principles.? I believe that we already unite some of the most brilliant minds in this field. But we need to make our voices heard. Right now, rights and principles are hyped, and we need to stay actively involved in the discussion on the future of the principled approach by putting ourselves out there, by broadcasting the research and activities of our members, by providing stimulus for all normative processes in the IG field.?
?
In brief: Having invested much intellectual effort in developing our signature documents in a holistic and a punchy format ? the Charter and the 10 IRPs ? we now need to get our hands dirty, that is: operationalize them and ensure that they can influence the way the Internet will be run in the years to come.
?
Again, I look forward with Dixie and you ? Let the rights roll!
?
Kind regards
?
Matthias
?
?
?
?
--
Mag. iur. Matthias C. Kettemann, LL.M. (Harvard)
Teaching and Research Fellow
E | matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at
?