[IRP] French translation

parminder parminder
Thu Mar 31 05:59:31 EEST 2011

Hi All

The term 'network equality' was thrown up in an intense debate on
network neutrality at an APC meeting in Italy last year... The context
in which it popped up was the fact/ argument that 'neutrality' was a
technical term with limited socio-political meaning and validity, and I
think we can all agree on this. We dont want just to nominally be the
'same to all' but be substantively equal in  terms of real treatment,
real opportunities etc.

Also, as we move to a digitally mediated social reality, it is not the
Internet which is the central social phenomenon but the 'network' as the
chief organizational form of the information/ network society. (However,
the 'network' is made possible in its present dominating form only
because of the Internet.) The idea is that the Internet should be such
as promotes network equality rather than network exclusions (very strong
kinds of which are already taking place).So, dear Meryem,  I meant the
term in a much more socially multi dimensional manner than just
connoting equality of access.

And it is in this larger context, and for the purpose of these larger
objectives, we want an Internet that provides a level playing field, in
terms of economic, social, political and cultural opportunities. The
technical architecture of such an Internet would be such that brooks no
discrimination on commercial, political and other grounds.

This may look like a convoluted logic to arrive at a principle that we
generally all seem to agree on, but perhaps such a socio-political
(equality, in its socio-political meanings, in which it is shrined in
many a constitutions) and historical (network society) framing of the
'socio-technical' principle we are proposing is necessary both for its
larger acceptance, and continued validity as technical developments take
place, and continue to redefine our social structures in many basic ways.

Parminder