[IRP] rights violations by the State in the USA gets even worse

Katitza Rodriguez katitza
Mon Apr 25 21:42:59 EEST 2011

Ginger: The privacy community is working on it. There is a text
circulated by Eward Hasbrouk,
he is a expert on "travel privacy" issues. See below.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[The Practical Nomad Newsletter] Amazing Race 18, Ep. 7:
Salzburg and Vienna
Date: 	Thu, 21 Apr 2011 21:25:07 -0700
From: 	Edward Hasbrouck <edward at hasbrouck.org>
To: 	newsletter at hasbrouck.org

Monday, April 25th is the last day for the public to tell the State Dept.
what's wrong with their insane proposal to require some passport
applicants to supply an impossible list of details about everything from
all the dates of  their mother's pre-natal medical appointment, to whether
and if so when they were circumcised, to everywhere they have ever lived
and the name and phone number of every job supervisor in their life.

Form DS-5513 as proposed by the State Dept.:

http://papersplease.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/ds5513-proposed.pdf

Details and instructions for filing your comments:

http://papersplease.org/wp/2011/03/18/state-dept-proposes-biographical-
questionnaire-for-passport-applicants/

Draft comments I've written for a coalition including the Identity Project
(PapersPlease.org), Consumer Travel Alliance, and others:

http://papersplease.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/idp-passport-ds-5513-
comments1.pdf

On 4/25/11 5:18 AM, Ginger Paque wrote:
> This is quite serious--it almost sounds like an Internet hoax, but it
> is not. One of the questions:
>
> "Please describe the circumstances of your birth including the names
> (as well as address and phone number, if available) of persons present
> or in attendance at your birth."
>
> (well... I don't remember exactly, but I think my mother was there...)
>
> It is hard to believe this will pass, but comments on the site and to
> members of congress are highly encouraged. Today (Monday) is the last
> day for input.
>
> gp
>
> *Ms. Ginger (Virginia) Paque
> *IGCBP Coordinator
> DiploFoundation
> www.diplomacy.edu/ig <http://www.diplomacy.edu/ig>
>
> *The latest from Diplo...*Keep up with Diplo on Twitter. Follow
> @DiplomacyEdu <http://www.twitter.com/DiplomacyEdu> for all the news
> about our programmes, courses, research, events, and more!
>

> On 4/25/2011 6:22 AM, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:
>> Now the US Dept of State plans to use *selectively* (at the discretion
>> of the counter officer) a passport application form which is impossible
>> to fill -- in practice denying that person (an American citizen) his/her
>> right to a passport:
>>
>> http://www.boingboing.net/2011/04/25/state-dept-adding-in.html?dlvrit=36761
>>
>> You, an American citizen, looks like a developing country foreigner, or
>> maybe you are from a political party not of the officer's liking, or you
>> happen to be fan of a baseball team and he likes another, or he is
>> refused sexual favors or... who knows what sort of discriminations might
>> happen at the passport counter? Typical ones of any dictatorship
>> throughout the world? Or, typical of the countless visa refusals
>> throughout American consulates worldwide?
>>
>> --c.a.

Katitza Rodriguez
International Rights Director
Electronic Frontier Foundation
katitza at eff.org
katitza at datos-personales.org (personal email)

Please support EFF - Working to protect your digital rights and freedom of speech since 1990