[IRP] Punchiness and consultation process

Lisa Horner LisaH
Fri Oct 8 14:09:37 EEST 2010

Thanks for this Jim.

We will add it to our list of issues to consult on.  But it would also be great to kick start the discussion now if you have ideas for alternative language.  Anyone, inside the coalition and beyond, is free to start threads on any of the articles in the Charter - we'll use those discussions as a starting point for external consultations.

I think once people are generally happy with the proposed consultation process, then we can move on to look at our list of issues, defining which ones we include in the face to face meetings, and how we phrase the questions etc.

I'd suggest that once we've had the wider consultations and our administrator/steering committee has developed a new draft next year, we can have focussed discussions about outstanding issues and concerns within the coalition.  For example, we might dedicate a week and a conference call to a set of defined issues to hammer out language etc.  We'd need to adjust the proposed timescale to allow for that, probably ending the external consultation around May or June to give us time to finalise 2.0 within the coalition.

Thoughts, comments welcome!

Lisa

From: Jim Killock [mailto:jimkillock at googlemail.com] On Behalf Of Jim Killock
Sent: 07 October 2010 10:50
To: Lisa Horner
Cc: 'Fouad Bajwa'; irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org
Subject: Re: [IRP] Punchiness and consultation process

Hi folks

I've been lurking on this list, so please excuse my directness below. I would like to know what the process for consulting on this part would be:

c.   E-Democracy
E-democracy and online voting should be promoted whenever it bears the potential to enable a more participatory democracy where political decisions are debated and taken by more people, provided its security can be assured.

This to me is a very contentious statement, that many security engineers and human rights organisations would be uncomfortable with. Many of us do not believe that e-voting or online voting is likely to be secure anytime soon. I can see that position is reflected by "provided its security can be assured", but to many of this is extremely unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future. It might be a bit like saying: "Banking should be completely deregulated, provided our financial security can be assured".

So what would the process be to consult more widely, perhaps, and consider changing this statement?