[IRP] Punchiness and consultation process

Jim Killock jim
Thu Oct 7 12:49:41 EEST 2010

Hi folks

I've been lurking on this list, so please excuse my directness below. I would like to know what the process for consulting on this part would be:

c.   E-Democracy
E-democracy and online voting should be promoted whenever it bears the potential to enable a more participatory democracy where political decisions are debated and taken by more people, provided its security can be assured.

This to me is a very contentious statement, that many security engineers and human rights organisations would be uncomfortable with. Many of us do not believe that e-voting or online voting is likely to be secure anytime soon. I can see that position is reflected by "provided its security can be assured", but to many of this is extremely unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future. It might be a bit like saying: "Banking should be completely deregulated, provided our financial security can be assured".

So what would the process be to consult more widely, perhaps, and consider changing this statement?

Jim Killock
Executive Director
Open Rights Group
+44 (0) 7894 498 127