[IRP] IRP Coalition Statement to Open Consultation for IGF 2010

M I Franklin cos02mf
Fri Jan 15 19:00:56 EET 2010

Dear IGF

Please find attached the IRP Dynamic Coalition's contribution to the IGF
Open Consultation. The text is pasted below into this email as well.

Kind regards
Marianne Franklin, on behalf of the IRP DC

Open Consultation IGF 2010

INTERNET RIGHTS & PRINCIPLES DYNAMIC COALITION Statement

The comments below from the Internet Rights and Principles Dynamic
Coalition are our contribution to the Open Consultations for IGF 2010.
Under each of the four themes below we take stock of IGF 2009 by offering
practical suggestions for the format and planning of IGF 2010.

1)      Emerging Key themes: A wide range of stakeholders in the plenary
sessions reaffirmed the importance of upholding human rights in the
internet age. However these sentiments tended to be expressed in general
rather than specific terms.
	a.      The challenge for this coming year is to focus on how upholding
human rights can be achieved in practice; what roles different stakeholders
can or should play in this regard, and how these play out more specifically
in different Internet governance issue-areas.
	b.      With this in mind we would like to see not only workshops but also
main sessions that look more closely at what a 'human rights agenda', or
'development agenda for Internet Governance' might actually look like.
Whilst openness and diversity continue to be important issues, we think
this year is the moment to broach more specific questions or policy
dilemmas within these broader themes
	c.      The coalition is ready and willing to contribute to organizing and
facilitating main sessions along these human rights related themes.

2)      General Organization: Generally speaking coalition members found
the meeting to be well organized, with signs of continued progress in all
aspects. Coalition members who were participating in, or who organized
workshops would like to commend the organizers for their good work in this
regard, particularly given the relatively limited budget and resources
available to the IGF. Our members note the following aspects that need
particular attention this year:
	a.      Discussions, especially in plenary sessions, tended to become
diverted into the issue of whether the IGF should continue, and if so, how.
This is a key issue, however we think it is important to avoid it
dominating discussion in both main sessions and workshops this year.
	b.      Continuity between the main session themes and those covered in
the workshops could be strengthened. Creating clearer links in the program,
e.g. by cross-referencing session/workshop themes and titles, is one way to
create more coherence in the program before the meeting. During and after
the meeting, we would like to see formal feedback put in place and
integrated into the stocktaking; from organizers and/or moderators of both
main sessions and workshops.
	c.      Main sessions based around 'classic' themes of openness, diversity
and such like need to be supplemented and reinvigorated by including new
themes onto the program. The need for continuity and depth in ongoing
themes need to be balanced by new ideas and themes, for this is a
fast-moving area.
	d.      Some panels in main sessions were overloaded with panelists. This
always means less time for a wider plenary discussion. We realize that
larger panels allow for a greater diversity in some cases. However we would
urge moderators of larger sessions to ensure that there is enough time for
discussion and that when discussion takes place it is dynamic and inclusive
of panelists and other participants. It is important that contributors from
the floor as well as remote participants get enough time to have their say
and be adequately responded to by others.
	e.      In light of the above we would also like to see more innovative
panel formats encouraged even more; e.g. town-hall meeting formats,
brainstorming, other sorts of small-group and interactive forms of
discussion. Formal panels have their place but good work is also done in
small groups/break-out sessions as well.
	f.      Rather than having main sessions largely based around broad
themes, we think this year is the moment to broach more specific questions
or policy dilemmas. These can be proposed in advance with an eye to opening
up the discussion about specific solutions before the actual session.

3)      Remote Participation: On the whole the facilities for remote
participation seemed to work well. However, there are some specific issues
that we think need particular attention this year to ensure more diverse
and robust debate.
	a.       Workshop organizers were not given enough support in good time
nor enough information on how to use the technology provided. When
technical hitches occurred there was not enough technical support on hand
so many moderators found themselves in the role of do-it-yourself
technicians. This causes delays, frustration and a loss of focus. More
information in advance from the IGF in liaison with the Vilnius venue
organization would be useful, but also during the event. Given the
importance of enabling remote participation but also having it run
smoothly, the need for more dedicated staff in this respect is
indispensable.
	b.      We would also suggest, in line with suggestions from the Remote
Participation Working Group (RPWG), that Workshops include both a moderator
on-the-ground and an online moderator in their planning. Someone needs to
monitor remote participation, in partnership with the workshop moderator,
in order to streamline, filter and facilitate remote participation in the
proceedings; e.g. by gathering text-based comments, setting up a queue for
spoken interventions, or having remote participants be given the floor en
bloc if this is more practicable. We would also urge all moderators be made
more aware of how remote participants are often doing this at difficult
times of the day - or night; e.g. time-lags require careful attention be
paid to not interrupting through better timing of responses or requests.
	c.      The above points underscore our support for proposals to organize
adequate guidelines as well as a brief training session/module/virtual tour
for all moderators before the IGF meeting. During the meeting is not the
time to experiment.

4)      General Participation: Increasing diversity in terms of cultural,
regional, and linguistic representation remains a core issue for a number
of dynamic coalitions. Our comments and suggestions about continuing to
improve remote participation technically and organizationally relate to
these concerns. There is still a need to
	a.      set up more coherent - vertical and lateral - links between
discussions and themes from national, regional and international IGFs,
during the meetings as well as in their respective output. At present the
public record is piecemeal, not easily accessible, and inadequately
hyperlinked. We recognize that this is something requiring dedicated time
and human resources so we urge the IGF to put aside the necessary resources
for this task.
	b.      Find more ways to open up the meetings to lay-participants. By
this we mean that preparatory consultations, main sessions, and specialized
workshops need to be more accessible to 'everyday internet users', any
interested communities or groups from areas where the Internet is either
less extensive or with other communication priorities.