[IRP] Charter process

Lisa Horner lisa
Wed Jan 6 20:35:26 EET 2010

Hi Anriette and all

I agree we should try and get as wide as posisble feedback on the draft Charter.  That's why I suggested that maybe the IGF open consultations might be a better opportunity than the Eurodig to piggy back a meeting onto...more non-Europeans might be going?  There are consultations planned for May, which could fit into Meryem's proposed schedule (pasted below for reference) quite well.  I think we should aim to have a one day meeting for the coalition, focusing on charter feedback but also encompassing other issues,similar to the Spetember 2009 meeting in Geneva.  We should aim for better remote participation so that the venue of the meeting isn't so much of an issue.

We could also consult at the regional IGFs as Anriette suggests - that'd be a great opportunity to widen participation in the process and raise awareness about it. However, if we do that, I think that we'll still need an in-depth meeting/consultation with the expert group as well.  The idea is for a proper discussion with the experts about why they have chosen certain wording or included/excluded certain issues.  I doubt they can go to all of the regional IGFs to do that.

If we do decide to reach out at the regional IGFs, we'd need for people to take ownership of organising the consultation at each of them...do we know when they are and, is there any interest amongst people on the list in helping to organise that? We'd also have to make sure the expert group have all inputs before mid-August.

The options as I see it are (not necessarily mutually exclusive):
1) Have an IRP/Charter meeting the day before the Eurodig (28th April, Madrid).
2) Have the meeting the day before the IGF consultations (9th May, Geneva).
3) Have the meeting at another of the regional IGFs (might be trickier for experts to get there).
3) Consult on the charter at all regional IGFs.

It would be great if people could comment on these options so that we can decide fairly soon. Who is planning to attend which events so that we can determine where we'll have the most people in one place?  We can also discuss in the meeting tomorrow.

RE comments from human rights orgs, that's in Meryem's plan, scheduled for May.

All the best,
Lisa

Timeline:

-       Until 31st December 2009: further edits and comments by IRP members and agreement on the HR expert group work program (methodology and milestones). IRP representatives should provide last version (as of 31st December) of IRP charter to HR expert group.

-       From 1st January to 25 April 2010: HR expert group develop a first draft of the charter

-       EuroDIG 2010 (29-30 April 2010, Madrid): first round of comments by IRP coalition and other EuroDIG participants. Subject to feasibility: organize a closed HR experts, organizations and institutions meeting.

-       From 1st May to 31st May 2010: Consultation with other HR experts and HR organizations and institutions.

-       From 1st June to 30 June 2010: HR expert group consolidates the draft

-       From 1st July to 31st August 2010: Latest (minor) comments by IRP coalition. Long period due to summer holidays. Synthesis of these comments to be provided to HR expert group by IRP representatives (this is needed given that only 10 days left for final consolidation)

-       From 1st September to 10 September: HR expert group consolidates the draft with latest comments.

-       IGF 2010 (14-17 September 2010, Vilnius): public launch of the charter