[IRP] Notes from call on preamble.

parminder parminder
Tue Dec 21 12:42:19 EET 2010

Lisa Horner wrote:
> For me it's the large international advocacy organizations like Amnesty, Human Rights Watch, with whom I've had several informal conversations over the past few years.  It's also some of the human rights donor organizations, like the OSI (see critique they've already sent us).  Plus the UN special rapporteur for FoE (La Rue), and a number of human rights lawyers (I've spoken to some in North America and in Latin America, including the former OAS rapporteur for freedom of expression). I think these are groups that we really do want on our side.

Lisa

Without trying to sound sharp, but to make my point strongly, I must say
that the above constellation would make it look that anything other than
civil and political rights was either non existent in the human rights
world or a poor poor cousin, whose name, if indeed, must be mentioned
apologeticaly.

The job of a group claiming to work in human rights areas is not merely
to map itself over the existing dominances, even within the human rights
space, but work to give ever greater priority (positive discrimination)
to discourses that are sidelined which we believe are as important. How
come there is not a single entity here that works on social and economic
and cultural rights, and in the area of right to development which
becomes so important with the Internet redefining geo-politics in such
fundamental ways.

The groups and people you mention here are those with a strong default
negative rights mentality, that that is why they cringe from such a
formulation as 'right to the internet'. But the world has moved on,
especially in and for developing countries. For us, every rights based
work should expressly exhibit that the initial and the primary (and not
secondary add-ons) framing includes positive rights based thinking.

parminder