[IRP] Preamble call - Wednesday at 1700GMT

Meryem Marzouki meryem
Wed Dec 15 16:55:48 EET 2010

Hello Dixie and all,

Unfortunately, it now appears that I wont be able to make this call.
I'm very sorry about that. Here is my position with regards to the
questions to be discussed:
I prefer the Preamble format that I proposed, not because I did (!),
but for the very reasons I proposed it:
- as an integral part of the charter, it includes the visionary part
(taken from the initial preamble discussions) that was called for by
the coalition;
- it takes as main assumption that the Internet has become a
fundamental need, thus providing for the article on access as well as
for the conditions of this access and use, necessarily allowing for
the realization of human rights, democracy and the rule of law (the
remaining articles of the charter)
- it thus (in my opinion) defines the whole charter as the
development of what a "right to the Internet" should be, without
naming it, because this is too controversial and divise among us and
beyond. This "right to the Internet" encompasses access (to all,
under affordable, knowledgeable and "usable"/accessible conditions) +
ability and freedom to enjoy existing rights on the Internet. Its
overall objective being a better realization of all human rights. As
Dixie already said, it's not an end in itself.

Finally, I still fail to see how a "right to the Internet" could be
defined, e.g. as one additional article that is not currently covered
in the charter as currently defined.

Again, apologies for not participating to the call as previously
announced.
Best,
Meryem

Le 13 d?c. 10 ? 16:34, Dixie Hawtin a ?crit :