[IRP] last round & producing a clean version 0.8 of the charter

Rebecca MacKinnon rebecca.mackinnon
Fri Nov 13 14:59:36 EET 2009

Thanks Max. Sorry I'm just having time to look at the current draft
right now. Look forward to discussing later this evening here in
Sharm.

One concern: The current text of Article 5 - Torture calls for
"specialized internet policemen."
Do we want to be advocating that? In some countries (China springs to
mind) there are already specialized internet policemen who spend a lot
of time monitoring and suppressing dissent in addition to acts that
are internationally recognized as crimes. I hope we can avoid language
or recommendations that could be interpreted as an endorsement of
practices that end up with very different results than the ones we are
hoping to achieve.

Best,
Rebecca

--
IMPORTANT: My Hong Kong University e-mail (rmack at hku.hk) will stop
working in January. Please use my gmail instead (see below).

Rebecca MacKinnon
Open Society Fellow | Co-founder, GlobalVoicesOnline.org
Assistant Professor, Journalism & Media Studies Centre, University of Hong Kong

UK: +44-7759-863406
USA: +1-617-939-3493
HK: +852-6334-8843
Mainland China: +86-13710820364