[IRP] Right to Freedom of Movement: Partnering with APC to review the Internet Rights Charter

Max Senges maxsenges
Fri May 22 23:16:07 EEST 2009

Hi Jac and all

Thank you very much for partnering up with us!! I think this is a great
opportunity for us to really get behind a concrete list of clarifications
regarding what human rights based internet governance regime would be based
on.

One quick question: should we use our mailing list as communication channel
for discussions about changes or do you have a seperate list setup?

Ok so i made one minor and one bigger edit:

I suggest to change *3.1 The right to access to knowledge*

Reads: "Wide-spread access to knowledge and a healthy knowledge commons form
the basis for sustainable human development. Because the internet enables
knowledge-sharing and collaborative knowledge-creation to a previously
unprecedented degree, it should be a focus for the development community. "

I dont understand why only the development community? i would write
something along the lines of "it should be a a leitmotiv for politicians and
businesses to find modalities where access to knowledge can be granted free
of charge."

http://irc.wiki.apc.org/index.php/Theme_3_Subsection_1

and the bigger edit is on a theme that is touched on in "6.7 The right to
the internet as an integrated whole"
*
*I propose to reframe this one or maybe add another number:

*The right to freedom of movement and use on the internet

Everyone has the right to move freely, as well as to reside and use services
offered on publily accessible IPs and URLS*.

Global interoperability and and "connectivity without borders" is part of
the internet?s value as a global public good and should not be fragmented by
threats to create national intranets, the use of national/governmental
content filtering, or ask for any procedures similar to visas that would
limit free global movement of netizens.

-------------------------

In its current form i feel that the article really is a collection of
several topics. I tried to create a clear transposition of the right to
freedom of movement to the internet.

Here is the original text: *"This central interoperability is part of the
internet?s value as a global public good and should not be fragmented by
threats to create national intranets, the use of content filtering,
unwarranted surveillance, invasion of privacy and curbs on freedom of
expression."
*

*the wikipage to suggest amendments and to comment on this is @
http://irc.wiki.apc.org/index.php/Theme_6_Subsection_7
*
---------------------------------

you can access and participate in the review in the IRC wiki @
http://irc.wiki.apc.org/

Lastly allow me to point out again, that we are a coalition with many
different stakeholders and not everyone or every institution might support
all the articles of the Internet Rights Charter (IRC), but most of us are
behind most articles and we are all united in the will to advocate and shape
a rigths based internet governance regime.

Looking forward to collabowriting
Max

*"I don't divide the world into the weak and the strong, or into the
successes and the failures. ...
I divide the world into the learners and the nonlearners"*
  .   .   .   .  .  .  . Benjamin Barber

Dr. Max Senges

www.maxsenges.com
www.knowledgeentrepreneur.com