[IRP] draft invitation to our pre-EuroDig workshop

Max Senges maxsenges
Thu Jun 18 23:48:27 EEST 2009

Hello everyone

We had a productive monthly meeting - Robert Bodle is kindly preparing the
minutes.

I drafted an invitation for the workshop we are organizing just before the
EuroDig. Please review and amend @
http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/node/166

Welcome to the Invitation & Coordination Page for the Pre-EuroDig Internet
Rights and Principles Workshop & Dinner

When: 13th of September 2009; we plan to start to work around noon and have
dinner around 20.00

Where: TBD - we are looking into several options in the center of Geneva at
this point

Who: This will be a multi-stakeholder workshop; and while we specifically
invite participants from Governments, Private Sector and Civil Socity who we
know from their work on Internet Governance, the Workshop is open and we
welcome input from new perspectives!

What: The workshop is meant to consolidate the work that we have been doing
since the last IGF. That basically means we want to discuss the outcomes of
(1) the revision of the Internet Rights Charter and (2) the report
"Exploring an ethical approach to internet governance: values, principles
and rights".

The result we aim for at this workshop is to really be able to build a
_coalition_ around a shared understanding of what we mean by Rigths and
Principles (proposed definitions in the report) as well as Human Rights on
the internet (defined in the Charter) and how we can move towards our goal
of a Human Rights based Internet Governance regime (= the approach outlined
in the report).

It looks like we will have the chance to report about our efforts during the
IGF meetings right after the Euro Dig. This will be an excellent opportunity
to reach out to the IGF community.

Here is our proposed agenda:

   1. Find consensus for what we mean by Internet Rights and Internet
   Principles
   2. Review the Internet Rights Charter and discuss each item
   3. Review our Mission statement in the light of our (new/consensual)
   understanding of 1 & 2

Please feel free to suggest additional items and discuss the agenda on our
mailing list.

We expect something between 10 and 20 people for the workshop, so please
RSVP by signing up on this wiki page:

- Max Senges - Chair Internet Rights and Principles Coalition

Please "register" by editing the wikipage @
http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/node/166 (or if you dont know how to
do that drop me a line)

Best