[IRP] ICANN Mexico THEMATIC SESSION CONFIRMATION LETTER

William Drake william.drake
Fri Feb 27 07:18:50 EET 2009

Hi Max,

The schedules keep changing so much (and missing information) that I'm
not sure what I have at hand are the latest and definitive (very nice,
the day before meetings start), but to my knowledge the GNSO counsel
has a meeting with the GAC 17-18:00 on Sunday.  This would presumably
impact the participation of Olga, Carlos, Thomas, and myself.  If you
want, some of us might be able to pop in and say something brief from
16:30-17:00 but would need to cut out after a half hour.  At least I
would.

While R&P issues go well beyond this and NCUC/ALAC have emphasized
that users (aka citizens) > registrants, I like the idea of a
registrants rights clause that Vittorio floated back when but
apparently got no traction on.  Irrespective of any wider ambitions,
it might be interesting to revisit this one bounded suggestion give
that the RAA will be under discussion in the counsel....

BTW on the broader summit declaration discussion, it's worth noting
that there are five summit working groups https://st.icann.org/summit-wg/index.cgi?working_groups
  only one of which (last I checked) had generated a coherent text---
#4 on transparency and accountability issues, driven by Wolfgang and
Adam.  Perhaps the others will have something by Tuesday, but in the
meanwhile I think it would be good to think about their text, which
seems quite useful, with an eye to summit adoption.

Off to the airport,

Bill

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance
Graduate Institute of International and
   Development Studies
Geneva, Switzerland
william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
New book: Governing Global Electronic Networks,
http://tinyurl.com/5mh9jj