[IRP] Fwd: [governance] Re: [Coalition] ICANN Meeting in Mexico

Max Senges maxsenges
Mon Feb 16 10:40:18 EET 2009

Hi everybody

Ginger started a really intresting thread about the ICANN mexico meeting
happening in less than a month.

I wasn't aware, but Vittorio raised a Registrar's User Declaration quite
some time ago, and if i understand correctly, now it is on the deliverable
list for the mexico meeting

Vittorio can you explain a bit more? How can we participate in the
development/drafting?

Best
Max

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger at yahoo.com>
Date: 2009/2/11
Subject: Re: [governance] Re: [Coalition] ICANN Meeting in Mexico
To: governance at lists.cpsr.org, Public Voice <
coalition at mailman.thepublicvoice.org>

Ginger,

In July 2008 ICANN published a series of proposed amendments to the
Registrar Accreditation Agreement -- one of those amendments was a direct
response to a concern first raised by the ALAC's Vittorio Bertola, namely
that Registrant Rights be clearly detailed in the contract.

The exact text of the amendment follows:

"In the event that ICANN gives reasonable notice to Registrar that ICANN has
published a webpage that identifies available registrant rights and
responsibilities, and the content of such webpage is developed in
consultation with registrars, Registrar shall provide a link to the webpage
on any website it may operate for domain name registration
or renewal clearly displayed to its Registered Name Holders at least as
clearly as its links to policies or notifications required to be displayed
under ICANN Consensus Policies."

Since this amendment was proposed, neither the ALAC nor any of the
proponents of this measure have acted to define such rights -- they haven't
even started.  If this rights subset hasn't been worked on at all in the
last year, I wouldn't hold my breath awaiting this Summit to yield a full
exposition of Internet User Rights.

hi ginger
For the most up to date thinking and work on the Summit, including the final
agenda etc, please take a look at the wiki -
https://st.icann.org/summit-wg/index.cgi?at_large_summit_working_group

Jacqueline

   governance at lists.cpsr.org

Reply to all

Ginger Paque to Jacqueline, governance
show details Feb 11 (4 days ago)

Thanks, Jacqueline, for this link.

Milton Mueller also posted this on the Coalition (PV) list, which I think
will be very helpful, particularly for those of us who do not have a
technical background, or a good understanding of how ICANN works. Because
for me the IGF process is very important, I need to reminde myself to keep
watching the other important processes in IG. Don't know if this happens to
others as well...

Excerpt from Milton's post to the Coalition List:

"A new blog series underway at the Internet Governance Project explains the
significance of the reforms underway in ICANN especially as they affect
civil society participation.
http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2009/2/6/4083962.html  "

2009/2/11 Jacqueline A. Morris <jam at jacquelinemorris.com>- Hide quoted text
-

   katitza at datos-personales.org

   william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch

Karl E. Peters to governance, Ginger
show details Feb 11 (4 days ago)

Ginger and all,
    There is currently an effort to organize a "Users" constituency to the
GNSO that meets strong resistance from many who are involved in a new
constituency for non-commercial domain name (SLD) owners. The person
coordinating both efforts on behalf of ICANN is Danny Younger, who deserves
a hearty thanks for a thankless job. Anyone wishing to learn more may join
the list for this effort or ask me if you need directions.
Sincerely yours,
Karl E. Peters, President
Top Level Domain Association, Inc.

Ginger Paque to I, Public