[IRP] our proposals for events @ IGF09

Lisa Horner lisa
Mon Apr 20 18:37:27 EEST 2009

Hi all

Thanks for your comments.  It's a really interesting discussion, which
I'd like to go into in more depth.  And hopefully Max's research and
paper will provide a basis for this.

When I talk about values in this context, it's always rights-based
values.  If you can't root the "value" in the human rights framework,
then I'm not interested!

For me, human rights are all about values - values that we have about
what it means to be human.  I think part of the reason why cultural and
religious values are often invoked in ways that ultimately violate human
rights is that we haven't done enough over the past 60 years to
demonstrate how human rights are relevant to all communities, cultures,
religions etc across the world.  We've shied away from debates about
values, which has contributed to the rights framework being dismissed as
a western construct, and very little effort has been made to link
religious and cultural debate/discourse into the human rights framework.
I think that we need to address some of these issues head on, as shying
away from them will only serve to perpetuate this disconnect.

Another reason, in my opinion, for including reference to values in the
discussion is that it will help to include people who are skeptical of
the rights framework, or who are worried about the legal aspects/being
taken to court, but who are interested in engaging in debate and who are
ultimately interested in achieving some of the same end goals (universal
access/participation for minorities/free expression..). Obviously the
danger is that "values" might disguise actions that violate rights, but
that's why we'd need constant reference back to the human rights
framework/UDHR.

These are just some initial thoughts, and it'd be great to continue this
discussion. I'm hoping that Max's research will help to clarify some of
my own thinking about this, and about where "principles" fit in too.
Hopefully this can be a practical discussion, rather than just
semantics.  Language can be very powerful, and it is important to find
the right words necessary to convey what we mean and reach the intended
goals.

Regarding the title of the workshop, I actually came up with a few
options before settling on the rights, values and principles heading.  I
could take "values" out, or does anyone have any preference for the
ideas below?!

All the best,

Lisa

Incorporating human rights into internet governance: Exploring the
practicalities.

The practicalities of rooting internet governance in human rights.

Rooting internet governance in rights, values and principles: the
practical dimensions.

Mainstreaming human rights in internet governance: From discussion to
practice.