[IRPCoalition] IRPC SC Elections 2024: Elections start today

info at irpcharter.org info at irpcharter.org
Mon Feb 19 11:27:51 EET 2024

Dear all,

Thank you for responding to the call for nominations.
We received three self-nominations during the call for nominations period:

One self-nomination for the position on co-Chair (Dennis Redeker)
Two self nominations for the open positions in the Steering Committee (Tanka Aryal and Purnima Tiwari)

Please note that one of the self-nominations is still pending endorsement in order to qualify as candidate in the upcoming elections.

I am including Purnima’s self-nomination statement below for your consideration:

Hello! I am Purnima Tiwari and I’d like to nominate myself as a candidate for IRPC steering committee member. I have worked for five years in Strategic Communications, and Research on mainstream media frames in Indian elections.  I hold an interdisciplinary Master's degree in 'Media Governance’ from the Centre for Culture, Media and Governance.

1.     About myself:

My Internet Governance (IG) journey started as an ISOC Youth Ambassador. I joined the IRPC Dynamic Collation in November 2021.

I was selected as IGF Youth Ambassador 2021 and as a community initiative, I have worked on "Building digital literacy amongst rural communities in Chhattisgarh".

I have contributed to a workshop on "Multi-stakeholder approaches to AI policy and program development" as a Youth representative. It was organized by UNESCO and the Innovation for Policy Foundation. I was also invited to the DSG dialogue on Tech, Youth, and Innovation organized by the Office of Ms. Amina J. Mohammed, UN Deputy Secretary-General. Recently, I have shared my views against internet censorship for a journal <https://app.zeit-sprachen.de/console/paket/17535>.

I am the Core Organizing Committee member of IGF’s NRI Initiative ‘Youth IGF India’ <https://youthigf.in/sep-2022/committees/>. For the last two years, I have been actively working on empowering youth for a sustainable digital future. My role is largely to

·       Build partnerships with like-minded organizations
·       Engage the community via outreach
·       and Manage coordination with industry leaders, mentors, and advisors

My Digital rights advocacy and experience in organizing IG-focused forums and dialogues gives me the confidence to put forward my nomination for the role of SC Committee member.

2.     Statement of Intent:

I intend to foster collaborations for building thought leadership on concerns around emerging technology. I also intend to amplify outreach on ‘Awareness around human rights on the Internet’, widely disseminating ideas on digital rights and privacy.

3.     Vision for the role and responsibilities:

IRPC brings together brilliant and diverse minds. I for one, am comparatively new to this domain and have a lot to learn from experts and peers. Here’s my humble outline for the vision that aligns with IRPC objectives -

My vision is guided by the 17th SDG which is to “enhance the use of enabling technology, in particular ICT” (Target 17.8)

I comprehend it as a call to bridge the digital divide and the Global North, and South through commitments and policies. The onus of this commitment doesn't fall upon a certain generation but on everyone who believes in an equal, transparent, and accessible internet. I believe this could be achieved via developing inter-generational dialogues and enhancing outreach to engage relevant actors.

Thank you all for your time and kind consideration, I sincerely appreciate it.

The elections will be open for two weeks starting today, 19 February.

IRPC list members will endorse nominees using an anonymised online polling tool which will be reaching your email inboxes later today.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to reach out.

Best wishes,
Minda
IRPC SC Election Officer 2024

[Sent on behalf of the IRPC SC]