[IRPCoalition] Updates plus the IRPC at RightsCon, EuroDIG and the CoE Ministerial Conference “Artificial Inteligence – Intelligent politics"

info at irpcharter.org info at irpcharter.org
Tue Jun 8 18:44:31 EEST 2021

Dear all,

I hope this email finds you well.
We have had a few busy months here: we finalised the DCs survey, attended the last council of Europe’s CDMSI meeting and have been preparing sessions for RightsCon and EuroDIG.

RightsCon 2021 - 7-11 June
For this year’s RightsCon which has just started the IRPC organised a lightning talk on the Charter, which will be on today 8 June at 21.15 UTC: https://rightscon.summit.tc/2021/events/the-charter-of-human-rights-and-principles-for-the-internet-at-10-fostering-synergies-to-better-promote-human-rights-online-u6kA5MxgXyZkTM7DGQ9WtX <https://rightscon.summit.tc/2021/events/the-charter-of-human-rights-and-principles-for-the-internet-at-10-fostering-synergies-to-better-promote-human-rights-online-u6kA5MxgXyZkTM7DGQ9WtX>

On Friday 11 June at 12:30 UTC the IRPC are participating on the session “What governance framework to minimize the environmental footprint of the digital transition?” with representatives of the EU parliament, APC and Mozilla
Also watch out for the sessions below with our IRPC SC member Raashi:
9th June (6:30 -7:30 pm IST) : https://rightscon.summit.tc/t/2021/events/web-accessibility-101-enhancing-user-experiences-of-open-source-tools-for-people-with-disabilities-9VgddRMgMxHFDKbRJ1yEr4 <https://rightscon.summit.tc/t/2021/events/web-accessibility-101-enhancing-user-experiences-of-open-source-tools-for-people-with-disabilities-9VgddRMgMxHFDKbRJ1yEr4>
9th June (8:30 - 9:30 pm IST) : https://rightscon.summit.tc/t/2021/events/reset-rewind-building-agency-toward-the-future-by-looking-at-the-present-as-if-it-were-the-past-s9nCjbZuq1qSpGnbeJqajH <https://rightscon.summit.tc/t/2021/events/reset-rewind-building-agency-toward-the-future-by-looking-at-the-present-as-if-it-were-the-past-s9nCjbZuq1qSpGnbeJqajH>
10th June (8:30 - 9:30 pm IST) : https://rightscon.summit.tc/t/2021/events/a-citizen-linguist-lab-to-detect-hate-speech-evaluating-online-harms-and-digital-rights-violations-9WDjngnaVxVHWHPaV6JQcA <https://rightscon.summit.tc/t/2021/events/a-citizen-linguist-lab-to-detect-hate-speech-evaluating-online-harms-and-digital-rights-violations-9WDjngnaVxVHWHPaV6JQcA>
11th June (10:00 - 11:00 am IST) : https://rightscon.summit.tc/t/2021/events/digital-apartheid-and-human-rights-in-kashmir-hUpsCztnvtbQQDAuf7Mm8d <https://rightscon.summit.tc/t/2021/events/digital-apartheid-and-human-rights-in-kashmir-hUpsCztnvtbQQDAuf7Mm8d>

Council of Europe
Ministerial Conference “Artificial Inteligence – Intelligent politics” <https://www.coe.int/en/web/portal/-/tackling-ai-s-impact-on-freedom-of-expression-and-new-challenges-to-media-freedom-european-ministers-to-discuss-priority-actions> 10-11 June
The IRPC SC will be attending this meeting and everyone is invited to follow the discussion live here <https://www.coe.int/en/web/freedom-expression/media2021nicosia>

EuroDIG
The IRPC is part of the organising team for several events at EuroDIG this year:
IRPC meeting, 28 June, 11.30am CEST
Do not miss our first official IRPC meeting at EuroDIG this year marking the start of the 10th anniversary of the Charter.
The session includes a very soft launch of the Italian translation of the Charter and we are very pleased to welcome the translation teams which include students from the universities of Padova and Salerno under the leadership of Edoardo Celeste, Claudia Padovani and Mauro Santaniello. They will give us some insight into the crucial outreach work undertaken by this team and so many other translation teams who work with the IRPC over the years to ensure that the Charter is available in the world’s main languages.
Focus Session 1: <https://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/Greening_Internet_Governance,_Part_II_%E2%80%93_Enabling_an_Environmentally_Sustainable_Digital_Transformation_in_Europe_%E2%80%93_FS_01_2021>
Greening Internet Governance, Part II – Enabling an Environmentally Sustainable Digital Transformation in Europe <https://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/Greening_Internet_Governance,_Part_II_%E2%80%93_Enabling_an_Environmentally_Sustainable_Digital_Transformation_in_Europe_%E2%80%93_FS_01_2021>, 29 June, 10.30 CEST
Another highlight of this year’s EuroDIG  and a follow up to  last year’s Plenary 4.
Preparations are underway and we are trialling a new format: a 3-hour focal session which includes an initial input session, followed by breakout sessions and finalised with an output session.

We have been also involved in preparations of:
PRE 10: Open mic: COVID-19 in retrospective. <https://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/Open_mic:_COVID-19_in_retrospective_%E2%80%93_Pre_10_2021> 28 June 15:15 CEST
PRE 10 follow up: COVID-19 – THE Gamechanger?! <https://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/COVID-19_%E2%80%93_THE_Gamechanger%3F!_%E2%80%93_Pre_10_2021_follow_up>  28 June 15:15 CEST

IGF 2021
For the upcoming IGF the IRPC SC submitted two workshop proposals and the annual IRPC meeting proposal, which will reflect on the 10 Years of the Charter.
We have also requested the IGF Village booth.
We will share more details on these as soon as we have news on the proposals status.

Other updates and activities
Ghana School on Internet Governance (GhanaSIG)
IRPC SC member Jacob will be leading a session “Human Rights in the digital age - A focus the human rights charter” , June 30th 2021

Charter and 10 Principles translations
10 Principles in Georgian
The  Georgian translation of the 10 Principles is now ready, thanks to IRPC member Giorgi Aladashvili who is currently working on the translation of the Charter

The Charter in Italian
The Italian translation is almost ready to print! We are very grateful to Edoardo Celeste, Claudia Padovani and Mauro Santaniello and to the students from the Universities of Padova and Salerno

Past Events
The IRPC participated as observer to the Council of Europe CDMSI Meeting on 19-21 May 2021

The IRPC participated in the session on 'Decolonizing digital rights’ at the Online Winter School “, University of Padova, March 25th 2021

The IRPC visited the Goldsmiths University of London, Global Media and Politics programme for a session on “Human Rights and the Internet - Shaping the Conversation”, March 3rd 2021

Many thanks and best wishes,
Minda