[IRPCoalition] Updates on recent activities and participation at the IGF2021

info at irpcharter.org info at irpcharter.org
Fri Jul 30 20:26:45 EEST 2021

Dear all,

I hope this email finds you well. Apologies for the long silence: after some frenetic months working on IRPC most recent and very successful activities, a short break to deal with other projects standing by was urgently needed.

The IRPC SC met yesterday to look at our most recent activities and upcoming participation at IGF 2021. Sharing a few notes below:
Very successful IRPC participation at RightsCon celebrating the 10 years of the Charter of Human Rights and Principles for the Internet and co-organising the session What governance framework to minimise the environmental footprint of the digital transition? with the EU Parliament Greens/ EFA, Mozilla and the APC.
IRPC at EuroDIG 2021:
 the IRPC Meeting: Translation as Action – the IRPC Charter @ 10: Launching the Italian Booklet Edition <https://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/Translation_as_Action_%E2%80%93_the_IRPC_Charter_@_10:_Launching_the_Italian_Booklet_Edition_%E2%80%93_Pre_11_2021> highlighted the work of the translation teams by focusing on the Italian translation of the Charter and it was a very insightful look into the work, the challenges and the outcomes of the project. It was very interesting to see how the translation projects often evolve into other activities and projects. The translation teams are crucial for the outreach efforts of this Coalition! You can see the  session here <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UO5emFG4kU&t=6290s>
The  Focus Session 1: <https://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/Greening_Internet_Governance,_Part_II_%E2%80%93_Enabling_an_Environmentally_Sustainable_Digital_Transformation_in_Europe_%E2%80%93_FS_01_2021> Greening Internet Governance, Part II – Enabling an Environmentally Sustainable Digital Transformation in Europe <https://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/Greening_Internet_Governance,_Part_II_%E2%80%93_Enabling_an_Environmentally_Sustainable_Digital_Transformation_in_Europe_%E2%80%93_FS_01_2021> , following up of last year’s Plenary 4 was a very successful 3-hour breakout session and kicked off the EuroDIG’s intersessional work on ICT sustainability where the IRPC is also involved. You can find the session here <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVclij8iDPs&t=1716s>
The IRPC at Ghana School on Internet Governance was another fantastic outreach activity and I would like to take this opportunity to welcome the new IRPC members who joined after IRPC SC Member Jacob’s presentation. Please feel free to share your experiences, suggestions or upcoming activities promoting human rights online in the IRPC mailing list.

IGF2021
All three IRPC submitted proposals have been accepted. This year, the IRPC will host two workshops and the IRPC  annual meeting. We will also participate in the DCs Main Session. Below are the sessions dates and times:
Day 2 - 8 December 2021, 16.50-18.20: [WS#184] Syncing AI, Human Rights, & the SDGs: The Impossible Dream?
Day 3 - 9 December 2021, 15.45 - 17.15: [DC] The Charter at 10: Achievements, challenges and what’s next? (DC on Internet Rights and Principles)
Day 4 -  10 December 2021, 9.30 - 11.00:  WS #167 Digital Human Rights: How IGF-born guides support the Roadmap
We are still waiting to see if  our request for a booth at the IGF Village has been accepted.
Call for Travel Support to attend the 16th annual meeting of the IGF <https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/lexicon/8#IGF> is now open until 31st August:  https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/supporting-participation-at-the-igf-2021.

IRPC Charter Translation projects
We are looking into accessible versions of the Charter.
IRPC SC member Santosh is coordinating the Nepali translation of Charter and working on a possible collaboration.

The IRPC SC will be back in September to work on the IRPC participation at IGF2021.

Wishing you all a great month ahead,
Minda
[on behalf of the IRPC SC ]