[IRPCoalition] COVID19 and Human Rights. What are the impacts, opportunities and challenges posed by the pandemic on those working to uphold human rights online?

June Parris parrisjune51 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 13:19:15 EEST 2020

Dear Minda and All,

What I want to say about the COVID-19 outbreak is that is always a disaster waiting to happen. It did not surprise me at all. The entire world was becoming out of control, increased productivity, waste, impacts in the environment and something is bound to happen.

However, I welcomed curfews, as we suddenly had some sort of peace, although some would say that we were controlled by the state, for once, we were told what to do, how to live and we were obliged to follow, Suddenly crime rates fell, innovation happened, systems were updated, use of alternatives came into place as populations were forced to stay indoors in order to get co troll of the virus.

The sad thing is that young children m however, will now enter a world that is different, sad but important, they have to get used to wearing masks and isolation, not playing outdoors with friends and sanitising.

A lot of people have died and lost family members who died alone . But at the same time health care is now at the forefront of our society. Many did not appreciate the work that she is fists, medical teams, refuse collectors, undertakers, firefighters, all first response teams and essential services did. Hurrah. Other people were important. We came to realise that life was precious and that we need to clean the earth.

Some of my colleagues still cannot understand the link between the internet and the environment, with  COVID-19, hopefully we can prove that there is a link, we rely more now that ever on internet services, WiFi, phones and computers, this produces more waste, energy and disposal. It can also affect health, sitting in a computer all day, reduced eyesight, creates body pain, repetitive strain injury, use of pain relief, lack of Excercise, depression and change in family life. All affects the environment.

Regards

June Parris