[IRPCoalition] Fw: UN Side event: Artifical Intelligence - Technology to Serve Human Kind

Timothy Holborn timothy.holborn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 11:12:13 EEST 2019

Thankyou Minda for the follow-up.

I wonder, whether it might be possible for a submission to be made for
attendees, should i be able to produce something over the next few days for
the purposes of this event. I also wonder whether it is the case (or not)
that any attendees are aware of and conversant with the concepts /
technical function of 'semantic web' as does in-turn relate to the
functionality provided via the web that is an essential ingredient to AI.

https://twitter.com/SailingDigital/status/1181826750193360896/photo/1

these works in-turn relate to the formation of machine-readable
vocabularies, which are used to power the web.  Almost all websites
incorporate some 'semantic web data' in them; even for the most basic of
functional requirements, such as being able to copy and display a post
clearly in facebook, or have a website discovered by search engines.

There is a means to develop these 'vocabularies' and/or the creation of
'versions' of existing instruments (such as the UDHR, etc.) which is an
undertaking i have started; but have not found the appropriate people
within the UN to collaboratively improve my works with, whilst also seeking
to ensure the resources produced are made available (where appropriate) via
the UN; and that UN infrastructure can be employed for the further
development of 'human centric' AI services, including but not limited to -
the ability for AI agents to consider factors relating to 'the human
condition', and basic human needs / concepts; including but not limited to,
both human rights - and the meaningful capacity to make use of the concepts
communicated as human rights.

I believe this in-turn relates (amongst other things) to article 27 or the
UDHR,

Article 27.
(1) Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of
the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and
its benefits.
(2) Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material
interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of
which he is the author.

alongside article 30.

Internet Communications Technology can be shown, by a simple google search,
to present from simply entering a query - a world of records, in seconds.
This is no the only functional application that these technologies can be
made to support.

Whilst infrastructure support across nations is indeed required (using
standards, etc.  something i've been working on for a very long time);  the
principle consideration of whether we use the advancement of science &
technology to form a 'reality machine' as is distinct to a 'reality
distortion machine', which amongst other things undermines the capacity for
any member of our human family to live unto rule of law - is amongst the
problematic considerations.

Today, we have a vast technological capability to produce information about
almost anything that has happened. Yet almost universally, the most
vulnerable, are entirely unable to have that data made use of in a court of
law for 'sense making' what it is that may have happened to them, for which
they seek legal remedy.

the Charter of Ethical Finance[1] states ""Money must serve and not
govern", and one might hope this sense of moral grammar should also extend
to the same sort of considerations with respect to our tools.  Today, our
tools (ie: AI) cannot "read" or "make sense of" or "form relationships
with" human rights.

I have started work on solving this problem:
https://github.com/webcivics/ontologies/  (alongside other problems) which
will in-turn support the means for these tools to be used in relation to
consumer labelling, supply-chain evaluation and many other meaningfully
useful applications.

meaningful support, engagement, collaboration, cooperation and development
is of course considered desirable.

The web is producing a new form of slavery that is perhaps the most
efficient form of slavery known to mankind since before exodus.  Unlike
former versions, this new form  "web slavery" - means the beneficiary of
'slavery practices' not only gains the benefit of the derivative works, but
also, doesn't need to provide any acknowledgement of the worker - they can
say they did it all themselves - and, they can outsource the cost of
maintaining the lives of the human resources, to others world-wide (ie:
foreign governments).

We have the technology to produce AI tooling that can form accounting
frameworks / fabrics, to make distinctions of importance about what it is
people do...

but that's not what's happening, broadly, at the moment.

A Global Knowledge Economy, requires critical infrastructure that is built
upon 'open standards' that preserve human rights, inclusive to those of
dignity.

Today, they're not even made to be machine-readable.

Another important part of what humanity requires is economic instruments,
tooling - that should include micropayments infrastructure, as the web - is
a fairly big place and there's billions of people consuming trillians of
'things' daily, which makes it a different sort of 'marketsphere' to build
tools that could supply 'fair wages' for workers, across the web - making
things of value, for others - throughout the world.

obviously also, its rather important that these systems are made in such a
way that considers the needs of our biosphere (ie: energy, amongst other
things).  It is noted by digiconomist today, that a single 'bitcoin
transaction' (for any amount - even just one indonesian rupiah) is
responsible for 626.57 kWh in energy use.  Now whilst i believe this is an
'approximate figure', there are material relationships between physics and
the means to get a micropayments floorprice down; that in-turn forms
implications for our world.  Undoubtably, the facebook framework being
produced 'libra'[3] can achieve these sorts of outcomes very rapidly (by
comparison) but whilst this may be a step towards the greater-good - i most
certainly hope, initiatives such as libra are formed as to be made
compatible with other frameworks internationally, that are so intrinsically
linked to human rights and the manifest apparatus required by our systems
of government, worldwide.

Therein, my considerations are not simply about the money - but also about
the other factors relating to AI.  If a person leaves facebook, what do
they loose?

Finally, in an area that is the most complex constituent component to my 20
years of work - is the belief that there's quantum mechanical[4] 'stuff'
that is of importance with respect to human consciousness and
sense-making.  Therein, there are some very important considerations that
should be better clarified with respect to any and all initiatives that
seek to legislate how it is that AI becomes an extension of self; for
sense-making apparatus, dynamically with our world.

Today, there are projects such as 'neuralink'[5] that seek to provide a
'brain interface'.  Google tells me today, that Quantum Computers cost
about 15m[6].

Humans, might be cheaper.

my ecosystems works are published in a fairly accessible (yet often still
'draft') format: https://medium.com/webcivics/humancentricwebecosystems/home

Hope that's helpful.

Tim.

[1] https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz_os8GdvH2nUGR3TERGMzJnNVU/view