[IRPCoalition] Fwd: Event on social movements at Rightscon in Toronto, May 2018

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Thu Apr 5 03:50:32 EEST 2018

Dear all
Forwarding email from Parminder about upcoming workshop at the RightsCon
event next month\
best
MF

Dear All

Just Net Coalition is doing a pre-event at the Rightscon conference in
Toronto on May 15th. A write up is enclosed. The title is "Contending
with the digital horizon: What next for social movements?".

As the title suggests, the attempt is to discuss where do social
movements and social justice activists stand as the digital takes over
the world, its various "systems" and sectors, affecting all aspects of
our lives.

Rightscon is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, global event where
digital issues and rights are discussed. Although there is considerable
big business presence here, and also sponsorship, which we take with
more than a pinch of salt. It is also too heavily North dominated.
However, we have followed the strategy to keep our views and positions
clear and undiluted, but also be present at such places where these
alternative views are forcefully put forward. This pre event is one such
attempt.

We plan to do the 4 hour event in 2 parts. In the first part we will
like to have a speaker each from different movements/ social justice
areas, like labor, women's rights, etc to lead a short discussion on how
that particular movement specifically stands vis a vis the growing
digital reality. The second part of the event will look at cross-cutting
perspectives and strategies.

We are still building this event, and inputs, suggestions, etc are welcome.

There is also a proposal that we could perhaps invite a star speaker or
two, from North America (to save costs), whose address can kick start
the discussions. Suggestions are also welcome in this regard. We need
someone who can connect the world of social movements to digital issues.

Those here who would be attending Rightscon, or are otherwise in
Toronto, please do let us know.

Thanks, parminder