[IRPCoalition] ACTION: Sign-on Letter to Council of Europe: Re New Protocol Cybercrime Convention

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Wed Apr 4 05:33:16 EEST 2018

Dear Katitza, and Parminder

Thank you both for the updates and access to the final version of the
letter, and for the contextual point about regional vis-à-vis global
considerations.

best wishes
MF

On 4/04/2018 3:47 a.m., parminder wrote:

> this letter is useful.
>
> But there is also the larger issue that the very model of global law
> making where a few countries are present at the law development/
> making stage and then it is expected to be acceded to by others, esp
> the developing countries, is deeply undemocratic, and thus by its very
> nature flawed. I can therefore not accept the appreciation of the
> CoE's cybercrime protocols in their subsequent accession by other
> countries, which point is especially made in the letter. Global data
> sharing laws, as required, should be globally developed, in open and
> transparent manner, but with all countries participating at an equal
> level. And global institutions that are upto this important task
> should be developed. IG civil society groups have typically been
> cynically towards such developments.
>
> This is my organisation's response to it. We however have no problem
> with European groups engaging with their governments in this regard.
> But, global organisations in our view should also look at and mention
> this wider point, which is as important.
>
> parminder
>

> On Tuesday 03 April 2018 08:52 PM, Katitza Rodriguez wrote:
>> Brief update:
>>
>> The letter to the Council of Europe has been sent and published here:
>>
>> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/03/nearly-100-public-interest-organizations-urge-council-europe-ensure-high
>> https://twitter.com/EFF/status/981175325676642304
>>
>> If you have signed the letter, you are welcome to publish a post about it in your own site. A draft blogpost is attached here.
>> Feel free to customize it as you wish.
>>
>> I have also uploaded a graphic you can use in your own site here:
>>
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a89DpWEd-ZX1hV7OqoQZoGEvQO0b3p5B/view?usp=sharing
>>
>> All the best,
>>

>> Katitza Rodriguez
>> International Rights Director
>> Electronic Frontier Foundation
>>
>> katitza at eff.org
>>

>>> On Mar 20, 2018, at 3:21 AM, Marianne Franklin<m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk>  wrote:

Marianne Franklin, PhD
Professor of Global Media and Politics
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
http://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/ma-global-media-transnational-communications/
Goldsmiths University of London
Department of Media & Communications
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 207 9197072
<m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk>
@GloComm

Chair: Global Internet Governance Academic Network (GigaNet)
Co-Chair: Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (IRPC)

Editor: Human Rights and the Internet Series, openDemocracy
https://www.opendemocracy.net/hri