[IRPCoalition] Set the agenda for RightsCon Toronto!

Peter Micek peter at accessnow.org
Wed Nov 15 15:01:19 EET 2017

Hello IRP friends,

***

You are invited to RightsCon! And I'll probably send this to several
lists you're on, so you'll get a few opportunities to read this
important message*:)*

**

We don't just want you to attend our event on human rights in the
digital age. We’re inviting you to set the agenda at RightsCon Toronto
<https://www.rightscon.org/>(May 16-18, 2018) by designing and building
a session through our Call for Proposals
<https://www.rightscon.org/submission/>, open until November 24, 2017.
I*'*m co-chairing the*Internet Freedom, Network Disruptions, and
Censorship track* and need your proposals to *strengthen our movement
against censorship! *But there are many more ways to get involved...

****

**

Why lead a RightsCon session?

RightsCon is home to the world’s leading community of movers and shakers
in the digital age. The event brings together policy makers, business
leaders, government representatives, technologists, campaigners, and
human rights defenders from around the world. RightsCon Toronto is set
to be our most biggest and most impactful event yet, with over 2000
participants from 110 countries and 750 organizations.

Leading a session is the bestway to make a direct impactat RightsCon:
from identifying and mapping problems, to connecting with the right
allies and partners, and workshopping solutions and ultimately driving
change. By getting involved in the program and setting the agenda, you
will gain expert insight, build new strategic partnerships, and
influence global norms.

What does a RightsCon session look like?

Timely, engaging, outcomes-oriented, and creative. We suggest you start
by reading our submission guide <https://rightscon.org/submissionguide>,
as it offers helpful tips and suggestions for what makes a great
proposal! There are many different formats you can choose from:

  *

    Need to get our community together to problem-solve a major
    challenge? Design a Fishbowl.

  *

    Want to launch or showcase a new internet freedom product? Do a Tech
    Demo.

  *

    Have a specific policy or advocacy strategy you want to map out?
    Lead a Workshop.

  *

    Looking to give a crash course on a recent development in your
    field? Give a Lightning Talk.

There’s no one-size-fits-all approach in setting the RightsCon agenda,
but the key to a successful session is picking the right format to
engage participants and achieve your objectives. Still not sure which
format is best? We’re here to help, email us at conference at accessnow.org
<mailto:conference at accessnow.org>.

Attending RightsCon 2018

Tickets are on sale now <https://www.rightscon.org/#tickets>in limited
Early Registration pricing! To celebrate the start of ticket sales,
we’re offering another 20% -- just use the promo code OFF20. These
tickets tend to run out fast, and will soon return to regular pricing!
Be sure to act now if you want to get the best deal on your ticket for
RightsCon Toronto.

Speakers, Local Champions, and Community Participants

This year, we’re strengthening our RightsCon community in a few ways,
including with a new local champions initiative. You can check out
ourcommunity page <https://www.rightscon.org/community/>to learn more.
In the meantime, here’s a sample of who you can expect to see and meet
at RightsCon Toronto!

  *

    Tara Denham, Director, Democracy Unit, Global Affairs Canada

  *

    Harlem Désir, Representative on Freedom of the Media at the
    Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe

  *

    Amira Elghawaby, National Representative, Digital Communications at
    the Canadian Labour Congress, Contributing Editor & Board Member at
    Rabble

  *

    Annie Game, Executive Director, IFEX

  *

    Elinor Buxton, Senior Cyber Research Analyst, Foreign and
    Commonwealth Office, UK

  *

    Michael Posner, Director at the NYU Stern Center for Business and
    Human Rights

  *

    John Ralston Saul, Co-Chair, Institute for Canadian Citizenship, author

  *

    Kelsey Merkley, Public Lead, Creative Commons Canada

  *

    Julie Owono, Head of Africa Desk, Internet Sans Frontières

  *

    Kyung-sin Park, Director, Open Net Korea

  *

    Fereidoon Bashar, Co-Director, ASL19

  *

    Nighat Dad, Executive Director, Digital Rights Foundation

  *

    Ronaldo Lemos, Director of the Institute for Technology and Society
    of Rio

  *

    Dmitri Vitaliev, Director, equalit.ie

  *

    Farhaan Ladhani, CEO and Co-Founder at Perennial

  *

    David Kaye, UN Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of
    the right to freedom of opinion and expression

  *

    Walid Al-Saqaf, Board Trustee for the Internet Society (ISOC)

  *

    Eileen Donahoe, Executive Director & Adjunct Professor at the Global
    Digital Policy Incubator at Stanford University’s Center for
    Democracy, Development and the Rule of Law

  *

    Alison Gibbins, Tech Community Engagement Lead, Royal Bank of Canada

  *

    Sarah Saska, CEO, Feminuity

  *

    Camille Francois, Principal Researcher, Jigsaw

  *

    Judith Lichtenberg, Executive Director at Global Network Initiative

  *

    Hans de Zwart, Director, Bits of Freedom

  *

    Gabriella Coleman, Wolfe Chair in Scientific and Technological
    Literacy, McGill University

  *

    Ron Deibert, Director of the Citizen Lab, author, and co-founder of
    Psiphon

  *

    Alice Klein, CEO, NOW Magazine

  *

    Laura Tribe, Executive Director, Open Media

  *

    Michael Geist, Professor, University of Ottawa

  *

    Plus many more!

We’d love for you to join us at this important event. If you have any
questions about your session proposal, registration, or our ticket
discounts and special rates, please let us know, by contacting me or our
RightsCon Director, Nick Dagostino, at conference at accessnow.org
<mailto:conference at accessnow.org>.

Best regards*,*

**Peter*