[IRPCoalition] ITS Global Tech Policy Fellowship - Call for applications
info at irpcharter.org
Mon Mar 14 10:29:43 EET 2016
From: *Ronaldo Lemos* <ronaldolemos123 at gmail.com>
Dear list members,
Please see below our call for the 3rd edition of our tech fellowship
program in Rio de Janeiro.
More info at:
The program will take place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in July 2016.
ITS Global Tech Policy Fellowship Program – 2016
Applications deadline: April 11th, 2016
The Institute for Technology and Society (ITS Rio) invites researchers,
graduate students as well as professionals working with technology
policy, to apply to its Global Policy Fellowship Program and spend four
weeks* in Brazil at ITS. Last year, we welcomed seven felllows from all
over the world, who contributted immensely for the success of the
See the list of our fellows here
<http://itsrio.org/en/sobre-o-its/fellows/>, and what they have to say
about their experiences here
Our Global Fellows will have the opportunity to work with the team who
created and developed the landmark “Marco Civil” legislation, a bill
protecting fundamental rights, including privacy, net neutrality and
freedom of expression, approved as law in Brazil in April 2014. Also,
they will be free to choose one of the ITS five broad areas to work
* Law, democracy and technology (dealing with topics such civic
engagement, online participation, and others);
* Access to technology, justice and human rights (dealing with topics
such as connectivity, accesibility, digital divide and others);
* Internet regulation and Internet governance;
* Privacy and data protection (dealing with topics such as big data,
anti-survailance, data protection and mass surveilance);
* Rethinking culture, media and education (working with topics such as
intelectual property, digital entrepreneurship, art & technology,
online teaching, and others).
The ITS Fellowship Program will offer the opportunity for those
interested in internet and technology policy to deepen their knowledge
about the Brazilian technology context. We have prepared an intensive
4-week* program for our fellows, which includes visits to the biggest
technology national and international companies operating in Brazil, the
Brazilian Internet Steering Committee (CGI.br) and visits to São Paulo
and Brasília, including meetings with representatives of the Ministry of
Justice, Ministry of Culture, and Congress members who are advocating
for policies related to internet and technology.
*During their stay, selected fellows will be expected to:*
* Present an online seminar, which will be broadcasted to the whole
world and organized in partnership with ITS. Suggested topics can
include: broadband and access policy, content regulation, copyright
and creativity, consumer privacy, open government, government
surveillance, data security, data innovation, freedom of expression,
democracy and technology and human rights;
* Publish at least one article or webpost about their experience as a
fellow in Brazil;
* Collaborate with the ITS team and its projects;
* Portuguese skills are not required (but English is mandatory);
*Who should apply?*
We are looking for students, researchers, and professionals who are
following the debates in the public policy field, and who want to spend
part of their summer/winter in Brazil, learning about Internet policy.
People from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
*For the selection processes, you must:*
* Fill the application form here <https://itsrio2.typeform.com/to/S6rm6J>;
* Send us your complete academic and professional resume, including
your Linkedin profile and other online references you want us to
All documents must be sent in one single e-mail message to
*manuela.curcio at itsrio.org*, with the subject “*[ITS] Global Fellows
Application :: YOUR NAME*”.
*Our Fellowship Package includes:*
* Intensive 4-week* program for the fellows;
* Air tickets to São Paulo and Brasília;
* Accommodation in São Paulo and Brasília during the days of our visit;
* Shared office space at our headquarters for four weeks*;
*Our Fellowship Package does not include:*
* International Travelling to and from Brazil;
* Accommodation for the four weeks* in Rio de Janeiro, where our
program takes place;
* Other costs related to your stay in Brazil, besides those mentioned
* Necessary visa to entry the country.
Our team will provide tips and information about how to find
accommodation in the city during that time.
Applications deadline: *April 11th, 2016*;
Announcement of fellows by e-mail: *April 25th, 2016*;
Fellowship Program will start: *July 04th*, and will finish in *August
/* Fellows are expected to stay in Rio from 04/July/2016 to 01/Aug/2016.
After this date, fellows can coordinate with ITS the possibility of
staying for a longer term if they wish. Visa and costs for additional
stays are to be provided by the fellows./
/Carolina Rossini /
/Vice President, International Policy/
+ 1 6176979389 | skype: carolrossini | @carolinarossini
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
You received this message as a subscriber on the list:
bestbits at lists.bestbits.net.
To unsubscribe or change your settings, visit:
More information about the IRP