[IRPCoalition] IRPC at EuroDIG16 - Ws 2 and 10

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Mon Jun 13 11:56:10 EEST 2016

Dear all

Just wanted to follow up from Minda's post last week. The two workshops
co-organized by IRPC on minorities (WS2) and refugees (WS10) were a
great success thanks to all the hard work of the wider organizing team,
and to IRPC members who played key roles on the day, remote moderating,
report writing, and generating substantial input from networks and
individuals further afield.

The hashtag for WS 10, #refugeesinternet, actually trended on Twitter so
if that is an indication of interest in the links between
refugees/newcomers, human rights, and internet access we did well.

Our speakers included representatives from a range of views and
experiences. We were also able to engage with the technical community
during WS2 and with political representatives in Brussels in WS10.

The aims for both sessions were achieved. The outputs will be up on the
Wiki in the near future so looking forward to seeing these two
interconnected themes move along within IG agendas that consider the
full spectrum of human rights law and norms!

Thank you to all of those who made it possible

best wishes

MF

On 08/06/2016 19:26, minda moreira wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> The IRPC will be co-hosting the session CONFRONTING THE DIGITAL
> DIVIDE, under the category of Access and Literacy
> <http://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/Category:Accessibility_2016>at this
> year's EuroDIG. The session is comprised of two workshops looking at
> internet access and human rights for minorities and refugees.
>

> WORKSHOP 2: Internet Access and/as Human Rights for Minorities
> <http://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/WS_2:_Confronting_the_digital_divide_%281%29_-_Internet_access_and/as_human_rights_for_minorities> takes
> place tomorrow, 9 June at 14.30.
>
> WORKSHOP 10: *Refugees, human rights and Internet access*
> <http://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/WS_10:_Confronting_the_digital_divide_%282%29_-_Refugees%2c_human_rights_and_Internet_access>takes place
> on Friday 10 June at 14.30.
>

> For those who cannot make it in person, you can join the discussion
> remotely and via social media. Hashtags are *#Eurodig16*,
> *#minoritiesinternet* tomorrow and *#Eurodig16*, *#refugeesinternet*
> on Friday.
>

> Best wishes,
>
> Minda

Marianne Franklin, PhD
Professor of Global Media and Politics
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Goldsmiths (University of London)
Department of Media & Communications
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 20 7919 7072
<m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk>
@GloComm
https://twitter.com/GloComm
http://www.gold.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/franklin/
https://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/ma-global-media-transnational-communications/
Chair of the Global Internet Governance Academic Network (GigaNet)
Steering Committee/Former Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (UN IGF)
www.internetrightsandprinciples.org
@netrights