[IRPCoalition] Ranking Digital Rights - launch on November 3rd
Robert.Bodle at msj.edu
Mon Oct 19 19:09:13 EEST 2015
This is a terrific - thank you for sharing with the list; looking forward to the launch and reading the rankings via your accountability indicators!
All the best,
Robert Bodle, Ph.D.
Co-Chair, Internet Rights & Principles Coalition
Associate Professor Department of Communication and New Media Studies
Mount St. Joseph University
robert_bodle at mail.msj.edu
Department of Media, Journalism and Film
bodler at miamioh.edu
From: IRP [irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org] On Behalf Of Allon Bar [a.bar at rankingdigitalrights.org]
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2015 10:41 AM
To: irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org
Subject: [IRPCoalition] Ranking Digital Rights - launch on November 3rd
I'm forwarding to you an announcement about Ranking Digital Rights' Corporate Accountability Index, which will be released on November 3rd.
The objective of the Index is to assess Internet and telecommunications companies on their commitments and disclosed practices affecting their users' right to privacy and freedom of expression. As the IRP charter recognizes, private companies play an essential role in how users' rights are protected and respected online, and we hope the release of the Index will help drive the conversation on the role of companies in the right direction.
For more information please see the blog post below as well as our website www.rankingdigitalrights.org<http://www.rankingdigitalrights.org>.
I hope you'll be able to join us online or in person for one of our launch events!
(apologies for cross-posting)
Research coordinator & human rights specialist - Ranking Digital Rights<https://rankingdigitalrights.org>
a.bar at rankingdigitalrights.org<mailto:a.bar at rankingdigitalrights.org>
-------- Forwarded Message --------
Launching November 3rd in New York City! Join us online or in person.<https://rankingdigitalrights.org/2015/10/15/launching-november-3rd/>
by Rebecca MacKinnon<https://rankingdigitalrights.org/?author=4>
Please join us on November 3rd at 10am U.S. Eastern time<https://www.newamerica.org/nyc/ranking-digital-rights-2/> for the launch of the inaugural Ranking Digital Rights Corporate Accountability Index<https://rankingdigitalrights.org/2015/06/11/2015cai/>!
Click here<https://www.newamerica.org/nyc/ranking-digital-rights-2/> to RSVP for the event at Civic Hall <http://civichall.org/> in New York City - or watch the live webcast and join the conversation through social media.
The Ranking Digital Rights Corporate Accountability Index<https://rankingdigitalrights.org/2015/06/11/2015cai/> ranks 16 of the world's most powerful Internet and telecommunications companies<https://rankingdigitalrights.org/phase-1-full-ranking/the-2015-companies/> on their commitments and disclosed practices<https://rankingdigitalrights.org/project-documents/2015-indicators/> affecting users' freedom of expression and privacy. Starting on November 3rd, rankingdigitalrights.org<http://rankingdigitalrights.org/> will feature interactive visualizations of the data as well as analyses of company performance. A narrative report as well as the raw research data will also be available for download.
Find out which companies are doing better than others, why there are no real "winners," and what concrete steps companies can take to improve.
The launch event will begin with a presentation of results and conclude with a conversation about how consumers, activists, investors, and companies themselves can use this data to ensure that, as businesses power and shape our Internet, they also do a better job of respecting our rights.
The launch will be followed by events in other cities. More details about locations and how to join them will be shared on this website as they are confirmed.
* November 4 - SRI Conference on Sustainable, Responsible Impact Investing<http://www.sriconference.com/>,Panel: Understanding Risks Associated with Digital Rights<http://www.sriconference.com/agenda/session-details.html?objectID=111>, Colorado Springs, CO.
* November 5 - Georgetown University<https://www.newamerica.org/oti/ranking-digital-rights-dc-launch/>, DC launch event, Washington DC.
* November 9 - Internet Governance Forum<http://www.intgovforum.org/>, "Day zero" half-day brainstorming workshop<http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/igf-2015-schedule#day-0-9th-nov-2015> for research and advocacy, João Pessoa, Brazil.
* November 11 - Internet Governance Forum<http://www.intgovforum.org/>, "Day 2" roundtable workshop<http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/igf-2015-schedule#day-2-11th-nov-2015>:Benchmarking ICT Companies on Digital Rights<https://www.intgovforum.org/cms/wks2015/index.php/proposal/view_public/60>, João Pessoa, Brazil.
* November 16 – 4th Annual United Nations Forum on Business and Human Rights<http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/Business/Forum/Pages/2015ForumBHR.aspx>, Geneva, Switzerland.
* 4:40pm – panel: Challenges and exploring opportunities to secure rights online<http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Issues/Business/ForumSession4/DraftProgrammeOutline.pdf>
* 6:30pm - Ranking Digital Rights launch event<http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Issues/Business/ForumSession4/DraftProgrammeOutline.pdf> (sponsored by Aspiration Tech and Access Now)
* November 19 - London School of Economics (evening event - details to be announced soon), London, UK.
* Late November -Berlin, Germany. Event date and other details to be announced.
* December 2 - Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA. Details to be announced.
Rebecca MacKinnon<https://rankingdigitalrights.org/?author=4> | October 15, 2015 at 3:26 pm | Categories: Announcements<https://rankingdigitalrights.org/?taxonomy=category&term=announcements>, Blog<https://rankingdigitalrights.org/?taxonomy=category&term=blog>,Events<https://rankingdigitalrights.org/?taxonomy=category&term=events> | URL: <https://rankingdigitalrights.org/?p=1205> https://rankingdigitalrights.org/?p=1205
More information about the IRP