[IRPCoalition] New paper on NN and ZR out today: Where are the Users?

John Laprise jlaprise at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 18:05:42 EEST 2015

Hi Carolina,

Thanks to you and PK for this initial report. I am very interested in user
perceptions of zero rating services, perhaps in these self-same country as
permissible. The report presents a fine summary of the top-level legal and
regulatory landscape. It does not uncover how users use zero rating
services. Many of the anti-zero-rating services voices I've conversed with
are already experienced Internet users and passionate advocates. I'm far
more interested in what new Internet users think. I am on the side of
greater access is better, especially to connect the next billion, and the
swifter access can be enabled, the better. Zero rating services are a tool
used by organizations with resources to make this happen.

I also took particular note of the definition used of net neutrality,
characterizing content vis a vis service providers. Advocates using net
neutrality as a reason to oppose zero point services must do so very
cautiously. Most states already implement content control. The "free and
open" Internet in most countries outside the walled garden of zero point
services is simply another walled garden imposed by the state. When users
persuaded to oppose zero point services in the name a free and open Internet
come to discover that their national Internet is in fact not free and open,
some of them may feel like the victims of a bait and switch, advocacy groups
may find these users more skeptical of their claims of and leadership.

Best regards,

John Laprise, Ph.D.

Consulting Scholar

http://www.linkedin.com/in/jplaprise/