[IRPCoalition] DAY 0 at IGF2014 - Human Rights Denied-Turkish Customs blocking

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Mon Sep 1 14:26:56 EEST 2014

Dear all

A problem has arisen for at least three organizations with printed
matter for the IGF. All three shipments are blocked by customs awaiting
either paperwork, or a large amount of money (2000 TL for the IRPC
shipment). This situation involves three courier services; UPC, TNT, and
FedEx. We are all getting different information about how much, and how
long things will take.

For the IRPC booklets, the printed booklets, the cost to clear today has
been quoted as 2000 TL.

We are launching the Turkish edition tomorrow in WS83 in any case as the
Booklet project includes the digital as well as the printed formats. But
we have the Arabic and English, as well as the Turkish printed editions
ready for circulation here so the priority is to clear it.

Any ideas about how we raise 2000 TL (about 600 GBP or 925 USD).

Meanwhile, people here in Istanbul have been working hard on our behalf
but the feeling here is that without paying, the shipment will not be
released at all, if in time this week.

best
MF

--
Dr Marianne Franklin
Professor of Global Media and Politics
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Goldsmiths (University of London)
Department of Media & Communications
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 20 7919 7072
<m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk>
@GloComm
https://twitter.com/GloComm
http://www.gold.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/franklin/
https://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/ma-global-media-transnational-communications/
Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (UN IGF)
www.internetrightsandprinciples.org
@netrights