[IRPCoalition] EC "Internet Policy and Governance" & UK IGF

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Thu Mar 13 13:34:38 EET 2014

Dear Andrea

Greetings from Graz, where the Council of Europe event "Shaping the
Digital Environment: Ensuring our Rights on the Internet" is underway
today and tomorrow.

To respond to your question about an IRPC position on whether one set,
or many sets of IG Principles are preferable. I think that there is a
range of views about this seeing as the IRP Coalition is a cross-sector
network so I would not presume to speak for all.

What I would like to venture, in a personal capacity and as the Net
Mundial meeting draws near, is that whilst generating some sort of
consensus, which will always be qualified, is an aspiration many would
support and wish to see come out of the Sao Paulo meeting we also need
to start getting into details. This means looking at what is happening
on the ground, take all these high-level aspirations into real life
situations and so start taking account of what has already been
happening at local and national levels, in the public sector, and within
small and medium sized enterprises, educational institutions, inter alia
and in those areas where internet access is not a given, nor a guarantee
of being able to enjoy life to the fullest.

So here, I would beg to differ from Nigel Hickson about starting top
down. Time to work from the bottom up too. If not then calls for human
rights online will become a hollow vessel for platitudes and prevarication.

best
MF

--
Dr Marianne Franklin
Professor of Global Media and Politics
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Goldsmiths (University of London)
Department of Media & Communications
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 20 7919 7072
<m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk>
@GloComm
https://twitter.com/GloComm
http://www.gold.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/franklin/
https://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/ma-global-media-transnational-communications/
Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (UN IGF)
www.internetrightsandprinciples.org
@netrights