[IRPCoalition] [bestbits] Fwd: Public Consultation - Final Push!

Mike Godwin (mgodwin@INTERNEWS.ORG) mgodwin at INTERNEWS.ORG
Mon Jul 28 23:49:17 EEST 2014

I¹m going to make these comments in the form as well, but I thought I¹d
share them here:

With regard to:

'States should recognize the right of individuals and communities to use
their own language to create, disseminate, and share information and
knowledge through the Internet.¹

‹ I would change to ³Š use their own language, or any other language of
their choosing, to createŠ²

In other words, a Cameroonian, for example, might choose to use his or her
birth language, or French, or something else, to speak on the internet.

With regard to:

'In addition, developing the competencies of citizens in media and
information literacy is essential in ensuring that consumers of media
products have the skills to find, evaluate and engage with various types
of information, including those relevant for their social, economic,
cultural and political development.¹

‹ I would change to ³Š To to find, evaluate and engage with various types
of information, including those relevant for their social, economic,
cultural and political development, or to produce such information.²

In other words, we want to empower citiens to be producers as well as
finders (evaluators, engagers) of any type of information.

‹Mike

--
Mike Godwin | Senior Legal Advisor, Global Internet Policy Project

mgodwin at internews.org | Mobile 415-793-4446

Skype mnemonic1026
Address 1640 Rhode Island Ave., 7th Floor,  Washington, DC 20036 USA

INTERNEWS | Local Voices. Global Change.
www.internews.org <http://www.internews.org/> | @internews
<http://www.twitter.com/internews> | facebook.com/internews
<http://www.facebook.com/internews>