[IRPCoalition] human rights in ICANN

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Fri Jul 4 12:00:00 EEST 2014

Dear Milton

Thanks for sending this through. I have read your commentary and the
report. And I am not an ICANN expert so would not assume to be able to
comment in more detail but nonetheless, both are very timely and astute
assessments of the need for ICANN also to address where, and how human
rights and their responsibilities overlap. I hope ICANN starts
listening. But I did hear in London in the Open Session one of the Board
reiterate that ICANN's work is a priori a separate matter from other
venues in IG where rights and fundamental freedoms have become part of
the agenda. Is ICANN above these issues?!

Your comment that the authors's romanticism about the roles and
responsibilities of governments in upholding human rights online implies
though that there is not a comparable degree of romanticism from those
who propose that disproportionate surveillance (and data retention)
practices can be solved by relying on self-regulation.

Is it really such an either/or, zero-sum game here between one sort of
"powerholder" and another?

Best
MF

On 03/07/2014 21:03, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> IRP people may be interested in the following blog post on the Council of Europe report applying HR analysis to ICANN
> http://www.internetgovernance.org/2014/07/02/human-rights-in-icann-the-council-of-europe-report/

Dr Marianne Franklin
Professor of Global Media and Politics
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Goldsmiths (University of London)
Department of Media & Communications
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 20 7919 7072
<m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk>
@GloComm
https://twitter.com/GloComm
http://www.gold.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/franklin/
https://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/ma-global-media-transnational-communications/
Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (UN IGF)
www.internetrightsandprinciples.org
@netrights